Is the relationship over? :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have my dwarf rabbit Oliver (neutered male) for about two years now. Last month, I adopted a four month old Flemish Giant, Penelope (female). They were getting along great, laying around together, and cleaning each other...until last night. Out of no where they started fighting. I'd appreciate some opinions and/or advice to help this situation. Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Last edited:
I'm assuming the flemmie isn't fixed yet?

I wouldn't consider them bonded until their both fixed. Then their relationship will stand a better chance. Sounds like shes hitting her hormonal age and fights may start up for no reason if that's the case.

I just want to add that I had two rabbits, one fixed and the other wasn't, they did have a fight and I separated them for a couple days. Then I let them be together after things calmed down, they stayed bonded. But I had to watch Sweetie because I knew her hormones might cause them to lose their bond, Prince was neutered. Eventually I was able to get Sweetie fixed and their bond was unchanged, they stayed bonded to each other.

Need more then that to go on to offer advice. I will say that my two had a fight where one got enough of a significant injury to warrant a Vet visit. I split then up for about a month and went back to bond them. It eventually worked.

Yeah, the Flemish isn't fixed yet. I was thinking that it was probably the hormones, but I wanted to get opinions from others. From what I've read, they should be six months old before they're spayed, is this true? She is only four months.

When to spay depends mostly on your vet.
Spaying her at a younger age, WILL NOT affect her growth.
Some vets are not comfortable spaying young animals as they may be too small, so many vets will have a minimum weight.
If your vet is comfortable doing it now, then get her done. My 2 were barley 1kg (or less...) and 3-3.5mts when they were done. Being a larger breed of rabbit, that makes this a ton easier.

I took her to the vet for a check up when I got her, and I talked to the vet about getting her spayed. This vet said they normally prefer not to spay unless the rabbit is being aggressive or is sick, uterine cancer... For various reasons.
This is the only vet in my area that will care for rabbits.
I think I will give them time apart. Try again, and if it doesn't work out....I will take her to get spayed...and see if it helps.
All in all, I want what is best for both of them, and will do whatever I can to make them happy.
Thanks for all of the advice!
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1383776346.410282.jpg

OK I have to say that spaying a female rabbit before they get uterine cancer will be beneficial for them. Because of prevents uterine cancer.

Insist on the spaying. It may help with behavioural issues, as well as reduce chances of developing cancer later on. I've heard of a couple of ways to help bunnies bond more.

1. Have 2 hutches and separate runs, put one in one hutch and one in the other, then after a few days rotate them round, this way they get the scent of both bunnies and will get used to it.
2. Not sure how recommended this is but some people say put them together in the back of a car and drive around for 10 mins, this puts a fair bit of stress on both bunnies that they will console each other after the drive and helps with bonding. Please correct me and tell me if it's cruelty to them as I don't know, but I can say after bringing both bunnies back from the sanctuary they did spend quite a lot of time together even when sir humpsalot was driving the girl crazy.

It's really hard to have to get them out separately...especially because just a few weeks ago they seemed to be "in love".
When I have Oliver out to play, I always find him laying right next to Penny's cage. I think he misses her?
I've tried several times to put them back together because of this, sometimes it goes well for a while, but always ends in fighting. She always starts the fights.

But....

I made an appointment for Penny to get spayed this month. I know it is for the best. Thanks for the advice everyone! Hopefully this will also improve her relationship with Oliver. Keep your fingers crossed!

I will follow up after it's all said and done. ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1384287570.465319.jpg

She is just beautiful, I am sure everything will be OK. And once she´s spayed an recovered you can attempt bonding them, they are a lovely couple.

Hope she´s feeling OK and recovers well, she´ll be a bit subdued for the first couple of days but should be feeling better after that. She´s just lovely, good bunny thoughts for her and hugs from my boys :hugsquish:

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1386159040.363080.jpgI wish I could post the video I got this morning. She is back to her crazy self, running and binkying around. It hasn't even been a week since her surgery. Again, thanks for the advice everyone. I think I can already see a difference in her attitude. ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1386159264.606254.jpgOliver is hoping to eventually have his friend back.

i like your vets approach... he realizes that all surgery is a risk and if there is no real cause for it, then there is no real reason to do so. I would take a wait and see approach. You may, for the short term need to manage them differently. Generally speaking Flemmish are calm, quiet animals and mix well with others. Until her hormones settle (and she's only four months you've a ways to go yet before they settle). You can't really consider animals bonded until they are both fully mature anyways, so give it some time. I wouldn't be rushing into surgery on a four month old flemmish.

I'm glad she's feeling much better. Hopefully the rebonding will go well, without any issues.

With your girls spay only being a few days ago, you may want to make her take it easy. Spays are a pretty major surgery, and usually vets suggest to restrict their movements for 10-14 days, to give them a chance to heal properly. So you wouldn't want her being able to jump up on things, or run around. So a one level cage or pen is good, and just restrict playtime. They usually do go stir crazy but it's for their own good.

Latest posts

Back