Is the food I'm feeding any good?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jynxie

Reaction score
Harley is a holland lop, and he was born Feb 1st 2011. So he's a little over 8 weeks, almost 9 weeks old. He gets fed Alfalfa hay, these pellets, and of course water daily.

Ingredients

Dehydrated Alalfa meal, chopped wheat, soybean meal, calcium carbonate, salt, magnesium oxide, cobalt sulphate, ferrous sulphate, zinx oxide, sodium selenite, copper sulphate, manganous oxide, mineral oil, ground corn cobs...

It sounds like a lot of bad stuff to me, so I was hoping to get some other peoples opinions. To be honest, I just read that the first ingredient wasn't corn when I bought it... But after reading it over, I don't know if it's good or not.

Analysis

Protien = 16.0%

Oils & fats = 2.0%

Fibre = 16.0%

Moisture = 12.0%

Ash = 7.0%

Maganous oxide = 140 mg/kg

Zinc = 120 mg/kg

Copper (as in cupric) = 20mg/kg

Vitamin A = 12,000 IU/kg

Vitamin D3 = 1,200 IU/kg

Vitamin E = 24 IU/kg

Not the worst I have ever seen and a decent food compared to some.
I would like to see some more fibre. The protein should be good for him as he is a young rabbit, but get something with a bit less when he is older.

If you wanted to switch to something else, that is fine, but these pellets should be fine until he is a bit older. Remember to switch gradually if you do. You could even do a 50/50 mix of this and something else if you have a lot left.

i like the Martin's Little Friend pellets, they're only in Canada. The 'original' formula I think is 16%, they also carry a timothy brand with less protein.

i'd also mix the alfalfa with timothy hay.

sas :)

Alright thanks. :)

So the oxide/sulphate stuff is alright?

I will have to look into that Martin brand too, thanks.

When should I be switching him off alfalfa?

Back