Is She Preggy?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegade

Reaction score
While biking in a park the other day me and my mum came across two rabbits that someone had let go. We decided to catch them and see what to do with them, since they were Rexes there would be no way they'd survive our winters. We brought them back home and put them in the yard with food and water. But to the point. One is a male and ones a female, and we think the female might be pregnant. You can feel large lumps in her stomach and her nipples are larger and protruding. Is there any other way we can find out and confirm that she is pregnant? I can try and get some pictures. Also what do we do if she is?We're hopingthat she didn't already have a litter and thatthey got left behind.We have a rabbit of our own but she's spayed and we never have had to deal with pregnant rabbits before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No they're in an old dog kennel we used to use for our other rabbit before we built her a bigger cage. Thanks I'll take a look at it

Also, she will need to be separated from the male. She can get pregnant again right after she delivers.

The male may also be aggressive to the babies.

Ok, I figured that would need to be done.

Can she be with another female? or is that dangerous for the babies as well? Cause I can put her alone in the dog kennel and then maybe see if the male likes my other female. We'll probably get him neutered anyway.

The pregnant female will not like any other rabbits near her or her babies.

If your other female is spayed, you could see if she'll tolerate the male, but keep a close eye on them. They may fight.

Ok thanks a bunch. I'll put the female in the cage alone and see if the Thumper tolerates the male. If she doesn't I have another old cage I can keep him in.

Thanks!:D

a lot of the fur from her belly is gone. I know that does will pull fur out from themselves to make a nest. Could this mean that she's already had the litter?

She may indeed already have had a litter or begun to make a nest for the new litter. From your description, it sounds like that girl is ready to pop!

Pam

Anything happen yet?

I'd also keep the new rabbits away from your current ones as you don't know their past and if they could have some illness or something. I wouldn't recommend putting him with your spayed do until he has had a check from a vet, especially with your other post about his breathing and shaking.

Any names yet? :D

Nope nothin' quite yet. Hah, we don't have names yet, usually takes us a while cause we like to base it on there personality, hence Thumper's name :lol:

With the breathing, it's really only when I'm holding him or if he's away from his mate with me, I'll see if I can'tnot get a vet appointment for them.

Well unfortanetly right now they're under our shed so I can'tcheck. We had them Behind our shed in a little area all blocked off but they dug a hole underneath the shed. No biggie though the whole yard is blocked off and free of any dangers cause we let our rabbit run loose in the yard. It's just a matter of enticing them from under it. But from what I can tell from the last time I held her the lumps seem to be around her nipples like they're full of milk. I can't quite tell if there's lumps or movement inher stomach. I'm starting to believe more and more that the babies may have gotten left behind at the site we found them. :(

She'll need to be carefully checked to be certain she doesn't have mastitis.

If a young litter was left behind, her teats will have filled up.

Pam

Ugh, hopefully we can get a vet to check them over, but we don't exactly have money to spare right now and our vets are kinda costly. We're really trying to hold out from taking them to the humane society cause there so overrun with rabbits there :(

Why can't people just accept the responsibility of owning a pet. Why are people so stupid as to think they can let domestic rabbits into the wild and think they'll survive.

Renegade wrote:
Ugh, hopefully we can get a vet to check them over, but we don't exactly have money to spare right now and our vets are kinda costly. We're really trying to hold out from taking them to the humane society cause there so overrun with rabbits there :(

Why can't people just accept the responsibility of owning a pet. Why are people so stupid as to think they can let domestic rabbits into the wild and think they'll survive.
yeah i know what you mean,people can be so heartless sometimes,i have rescued two bunnies of the street,Tobi and Maggie are my little rescues,people dump them and then it's the good people who have to come along and pickup the poor little broken hearted bunnies that have no home.

It's wonderful that you took those two bunnies into your life,i hope everything goes well with them:)

cheryl

Thankyou :DBut I'd never have been able to live with myself if I left them behind.

I really want to keep them, they're awesome little rabbits. But of course my dad has different ideas.:X

Well, since it sounds like she's already kindled... and since you found her with the buck... I'd put my money on her being pregnant again.

You really need to get her to the vet asap for a check - otherwise the humane society would be the next option. Mini Rex can deliver 1-9 babies per litter, and standard Rex could deliver 7-12 babies on average. It may be in your best financial interest to turn her over for any necessary medical procedures, and then ask for first option to adopt if nobody claims her. Theymay be willing to help you out.

JMO,

~Sunshine

Latest posts

Back