Is she old enough to spay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie_LuLu

Reaction score
Ok, when I got mybunny I got her from a petstore (i'm sorry!!!!) but honestly, thisstore has been there for 10 years, and it will continue to be there,yes I was contributing to its buisness, but the people that own it dohave a love for animals and they treat them well, BUT they didn't knowhow old she was when I bought her. I got her on February 5th and she was
DSCN0329.jpg
big when I got her. I know I've read they have to be 6 months in orderto spay them, and i'm sure shes not 6 months, but last night she wasplaying with my roommies Guinea Pig (who loves her) and well, hes a boyand she started trying to, ya know... to him. Like she was biting hisback (well not biting, but she latched on to him, and didn't want tolet go) do ya'll think she is getting to the point where she can getspayed?

She looks really young in the picture, I don'tthink she's old enough to be spayed yet. Some vets will do spays at 4months, others won't do it until 6 months. Someone will be along soonto help estimate her age.:)Make sure to beverycareful if you let her play with the guinea pig,she couldseriously injure him, especially if she'shormonal.

--Kelly

Is that the most recent picture?

No, this is from last night.

DSC00135.jpg

After she started trying to "do her thing" we put the piggy back :? It was sad because they have a lot of fun playing together..

If you take her to a rabbit savvy vet theyshould be able to tell you when she can get spayed.Good job on beingresponsible and getting her spayed though!Silvie&Phinn

She is adorable!

I think if I were you I would wait a month or so just to be sure.Judging from that first pic, I dont think she was probably more than6-8 weeks or so. That would make her around 3 monthsnow.

A rabbit ravvy vet will be able to tell you if he/she thinks she is oldenough, but if it were my bunny I would wait a few months just to besure.

Hi there, and what a cute bun!

That bun looks like the same size Drizzle, my bunny, was a couple weeksafter I got him. He was 7 weeks when I got him, so that bunny looksaround 9/10 weeks in that pic. I'm just guessing though. I'd take herto a rabbit savvy vet to make sure.

So that would make her, by my guess-tamation, 16/17 weeks old now. Butagain, a vet would know better. :)But you are right, it'sbest to wait until they're 6 months old to be spayed.

I agree with everyone else:)

But don't worry about getting a bunny from a pet shop, what makes thatbunny any less deserving of a loving home than any other one?:? Youwon't be judged here:)

Oh man that second picture is to cute!

Thanks JadeIcing!
I was annoyed at her because she bit her cage so much that night (FYI,soap works!) so I went out and got her bows, but they have rubberbands, so I couldn't put them onto her ears (ouchies) so when she wouldlay down I would just put it on her head!

I called around to Vets today, i'm probaby going to take her in June.It amazed me how much they all differ in prices, I found one for 150,and some for 200 and then some for 300, and the 150 one seemed sort ofummm, not as nice (not saying that all of them that are 150 aren'tnice, but I went to their website and wasn't impressed) so I think i'mgoing to take her to the 200 one in June!

My roommate adopted an older bunny who isn't spayed, and I told her notto adopt it because she can't afford the medical things that it needs,but it was in a bad home so she needed to just get it out of there, buther bunny is so mean, i'm guessing its a combination of a bad house andbeing around 1.5 years and not spayed. She is convinced that it issexually frustrated.

So Lulu will definitely be spayed in June!! The guinea pig will be excited. :)

If you can wait till she is at least 5 or 6months (the older the better) it would be betterbecause ifthey are too young, sometimes the uterus is too small and the vets havea hard time finding it.

It happened to us twice. The one bunny they told us wasalready spayed but we knew she wasn't as she was born into our rescue(not bred by us ;)- mom was pregnant already)

Latest posts

Back