is she fixed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniLopHop

Reaction score
How could I or my vet tell if my rabbit (female) is fixed without cutting her open? The SPCA had very limited information and didn't know if she was spayed or not. She goes for her first check up in January.

Does she have a spay scar? It'd be hard to see through the fur that would have grown back. But really, there's no sure way to tell. Not even an xray will tell you for sure, because those organs would be tough to see on an xray. I think - short of opening her up again, there's no way to tell for sure in a rabbit (my nonprofessional opinion).

Scan her for a microchip - often spay status is recorded on there if they are chipped at the time of spay or after.

Request any paperwork from prior vet treatment from the person you've adopted her from or at least the clinics name/number so you can ring and verify what if anything has been done.

Check for an ear tattoo - some clinics (depending on where you live, it is standard practice in Aus and was optional in the US when I lived there, may be standard now) place a small tattoo in the inside of the ear which indicates spay status.

Failing that rather than an x-ray, use an ultrasound. Most vets will have access to these now and while they're not often the lastest and most high tech models compared to what's available for human diagnostic use, they will certainly be able to determine if she's spayed or not.

She does have a microchip, but it was put in at the SPCA where I got her. They didn't know her status or any vet history on her. She does not have a tatoo. I'm thinking the ultrasound is the best bet unless the vet can find a scar.

The vet can also palpate for the uterus (although depending on fat tissue in the abdomen, it may be hard to tell if it is or isn't there). Otherwise - the ultrasound can be helpful.

She is rather skinny (I'm working to get her to be a more normal weight) so they might be able to feel it. I will let you know when I find out.

Latest posts

Back