is Rory depressed, really laid back, or still settling in?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowyShiloh

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm a little concerned about Rory's behavior. We adopted him a little over a month ago from the animal shelter and he's a 7 month old mini lop mix. Maybe he just needs more time to settle, and we love him to death, but I can't help but wonder... I don't know if he's depressed, is still settling, or is just one really laid back dude, so I need your thoughts! He gets out of cage time for a good 6 hours or so at least every day, but he doesn't really leave an area about 5 by 5 feet even though there's lots of space. He'll just lie or sit there for HOURS. He does go around a little bit, but not much. No exploring, no binkies. If you pick him up and put him on your lap, he'll just stay there for who knows how long, no movement to leave or anything. Also, the past few days I've been having a very hard time getting him out of his cage... he just doesn't want to come out.

When we first got him, he was more curious and would dig around in plastic bags and whatnot, but maybe he doesn't do that anymore because he's used to that area of the room? He does love ripping up cardboard boxes, though, and likes to play with his toys in his cage, as well as cuddling with his stuffed pig and grooming it. Oh and if I set him down a couple feet away from me on the couch, he doesn't just sit there, he hops around and stuff. He gets all dreamy eyed and relaxed when I pet him and doesn't ever bite. He has a huge appetite too and gets his 1/4 cup pellets, unlimited timothy hay and orchard grass, and a nice big salad. Has normal poops and pee.

So, what do you guys think? Is he just a super laid back bunny, or does he seem to be depressed? Also, it seems to me that he stopped wanting to come out of his cage as much since he was neutered on November 2nd. Cinnabun was nearly always on the go unless he was cuddling, so I'm just not sure what a bunny that's healthy and happy yet not super active is supposed to be like! And, any ideas to help him be more playful? It will be interesting to see if he'll change when we bring his girlfriend bun home.

I'm perfectly fine with him being a laid back bun, I just want to know if he's happy or not! Thank you for any insight! :biggrin2:

He probably has everything he needs right there and is just content.

Bo often will play and then hop back into his cage to rest. If I close the door he gets mad, but doesn't really want out - just the option ya know?

Rabbits aren't always on the go all the time. Rory probably is losing all the hormones that were in his body and it's probably going tomake him much quieter.

give him new toys here and there. That will keep his play interesting - I swap things out. I have one box of toys and when they get bored with those I give them another one and put that box away.

They all have certain toys that stay in their cages but I am getting ready to swap some of those also.

Sometimes just giving them a paper drink carrier from the fast food resturants or a laundry basket (only if you can be there if there are holes in it - they can get caught) on its side.... Or with a blanket in it to hop in. Bend a piece of cardboard to make a tunnel..... be creative and it can make a huge difference for him.

Still, he might only play for an hour out of his day - and just relax around his "area" for a long time. If he likes that area...... let him be there.

Was Cinn a dwarf? In my experience, most dwarfsare pretty hyper compared to most lops.

And somebunnies are naturally homebunnies. They're not lops, but my three fosters rarely come out of their pen to explore even when I leave the dooropen.

When Roryfirst arrived, he probably just needed to know the lay of the land-- and now he knows it. ;)

sas :biggrin2:

PS: A girlfriend might perk him right up. :bunnydance:

Oh boy can I attest to the hyper active dwarf :shock:. Do you play with him? Like chase the bunny or peek a boo? I find that Thumper goes all sorts of crazy for this. Don't get me wrong...Thumps has his laid back moments too. In fact, they are getting more constant, even with Peaches at home. She, well, she is just a cool chick who like to relax too.

I think Rory is just chilling. I am sure he is happy and is just laid back kind of dude. :biggrin2:

Tony is a full buck and young and he will play really hard for a bit then flop and lay around like some old man. LOL!

Bo loves "donna dit da bunny" (gonna get the bunny!) ...... I spider my fingers towards him and say I'm going to get him and he'll get all fierce looking and act like he's going to get me and about the time we would - he hops straight up and binkies off someplace to start all over again.......

Where's the bunny is another game they all love! "Where'd Tony go?!" and it's funny cause we see these two HUGE ears sticking out someplace where he's trying to peek to see us LOL! Yeah, that's not gonna give ya away Tony. :p

It hadn't even occurred to me that the lower level of hormones after the neuter would have something to do with it! Makes sense though. Good to know my bun is probably just mellow. You know bunny parents, gotta worry about something! And yes, Cinny was a dwarf like Mister Thumper. All those games sound so cute, but I'm pretty sure Rory would get scared. He's a rather sensitive soul. Maybe when he's been here longer, but I can almost guarantee that chasing him would terrify him at this point. It's really just this week that I've been able to hold him without him getting that worried look on his face that I'm always talking about! I love my bunny, such a darling little fluffy cautious boy! Oh and Paul keeps saying that he had no idea bunnies had such personalities and play with toys, I guess he thought they just sit there or something. I wonder what he'd think of Thumper :biggrin2:

I had to start the games with Tony really easy cause eventhough he's a bigger boy - he's a wimp LOL! He is so silly tho. He was just now playing "find tony" and those ears were sticking up over the edge of the woodstove front. (it's like a step or something) ....... I said "I see you!" and ZOOOOOOOOM off he went to wait for me to find him again..... wow! behind the litterbox...... don't see those ears there either LOL!

As little as Clover interacts with us, she does the hiding thing too!

LOL about the ears! So cute! I will need to come up with some games to play with him. I'm glad he's settling in, hopefully in a couple months he'll be completely okay with us. Cinnabun took several months to settle in and even when we'd had him for a couple years he could still freak himself out sometimes. I have a LOT fewer scratches than I did with Cin! He's scratched me a few times, but Cinny would do the "OMG struggle struggle sorry I clawed your arms run up your chest and over your shoulder onto your back sorry I scratched your neck now I'm perched on your back while you're on all fours someone rescue me prease!" thing. It's funny too, I'm fairly sure a lot of other ten year olds would have given up on loving him (even though he was acting like a normal bunny), but I just plowed ahead and adored him every step of the way. By the time he was three or so he was easy for even strangers to handle and would invite himself onto their laps and stuff. So cute! I love how individual buns' personalities are.

Part of it could be time of day too (mine are more active at sun up and dusk) and also the fact that it is getting to be winter and colder and so mine like to sleep more...

Peg

You've gotten some great advice so far, but I just wanted to add that it really can take a while for buns to settle in... the rescue where I adopted Nibbles told me an average of two months (before they realize that they have a home and aren't going to be moved again), but for her, i think it took about 3-4 months. (Not sure of her background, but she was apparently an Easter dump, and - I'm guessing - prodded and poked a lot by kids.)

it does sound like Rory is a shyer, more cautious type of guy, but you never know... time and love will tell, as far as him (maybe) becoming a bit more outgoing. You're obviously a caring bunnymom, and I'm sure he'll settle in just fine. (BTW, i had the same kinds of questions as you after bringing Nibbles home, and I'll bet most everyone else has had similar thoughts at times. :))

Oh, Clover did the over your back, on your head, all that. uhhhh she still does! LOL~

I swear she can climb the walls! :shock:She's just so scared since she's a wild baby.

Bo was always pretty sweet and if nothing else grumpy. Tony still is a bit shy sometimes. When I picked him up earlier he snuggled into me for ear rubs tho. I was happy to see him immediately feel ok about being held.

Mine are busy morning and night too. Tony will play anytime during the day and So willl Clover, but Bo really likes to be out early and late.

:shock:He'd probably think that Thumper was Cuckoo!! :laugh:As it is, poor Peaches thinks Thumper is Cuckoo...:foreheadsmack:

They all do have different personality and deal with things their own way. Thumper was comfortable after a few hours. He didn't like being held at all and would do the squirmy thing too but now, he just chills when I pick him up.

Peaches, on the other hand, is def. taking her time. I am sure she went through a lot because everytimg you go pet her, she flinches. My poor baby girl. I hope she gets over her fear and will be comfortable with us soon.

Hi guys! I wanted to add that Rory had his first happy teeth grinding with us the other day! Paul and I were sitting on the couch and Rory was nestled between us, with his butt on my lap and his nose on Paul's leg. He was getting pets and looking sleepy and grinding his teeth. So cute! :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back