Is pooping in his hay box ok or not

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamommaof2

Reaction score
Ok I have Teddies litterbox in the corner and right next to his litterbox is a box of Hay. Well ever since I put a box and put hay in it he jumps into the box to eat the hay and poops in it also. Is this a big deal if he does this or am I going to have to dump his hay everyday? How do you give your bunny there hay? I hate hay its so messy. I am a clean freak so I hate how it gets everywhere so that is why I did a box.

Nice question! It's not a big deal to poop there, but you'll want to err them away from that if you can:).

I can send you a pic of another member's hay rack idea (Haley!:p), it's great. Otherwise, you can either use toilet paper tubes to stuff hay in or even use a small tupperware bowl and stuff it in there. Those are a couple of ideas, I used to put hay in the corner of litter boxes too, usually just when potty training, but has been known to work for awhile!:)

This is how I littered box trained my bun.. He poo's and pees in his "litter pan" same place where I put his hay.. I also havea hay bin for him that he is not all that "keen" on, so I change his litter pan every other day.. When he is out in his "hutch" which is 2 X5 ft,he has no litter pan but "goes" only, in one corner (same w/his litter pan).. Assuming buns will have specific requirements for the "bathroom" habits I've not found a problem w/feeding hay to him in his "potty" box.. But you need to find what works for your bun..

EDIT: Also Baxter! my bun seems to have one of those tummies that can take anything, so if your bun is "sensitive" I would not recommend this..

You need to figure out what dietary issues you may be dealing with - to avoid the GI Statis problem..

I just got REALLY lucky and do not want to suggest that this is normal.. Most buns from what I see, need to go "slow" and "clean" w/the foods they digest. Do not introduce new foods to often and make sure "everything" is clean..

gamommaof2 wrote:
Ok I have Teddies litterbox in the corner and right next to his litterbox is a box of Hay. Well ever since I put a box and put hay in it he jumps into the box to eat the hay and poops in it also. Is this a big deal if he does this or am I going to have to dump his hay everyday? How do you give your bunny there hay? I hate hay its so messy. I am a clean freak so I hate how it gets everywhere so that is why I did a box.
he probrably thinks that's his litterbox, IMO. I can't have a hay 'box' with Batty cause he poops in it alot and I don't want his hay soiled.

I say good for him. We use litter boxes packed with hay. They can eat it, roll around in it and poop in it....good with us. Makes cleaning much easier. With our litter box trained rabbits, we clean the litter boxes several times per week but might only do a full house cleaning once every two weeks. Several benefits. They eat more hay, they have another activity to keep the busy and I have less cleaning to do. We do use side mounted hay racks in addition to having litter boxes.

Randy

Our cage-mounted hay racks hang right over the bunny litter boxes. That way they have clean hay, but they can pull hay down into their boxes if they wish (which they usually do). I also toss the bottom-of-the-bale short pieces of hay right into the box along with the litter. It seems to keep them interested in using the box.

Latest posts

Back