Is Pepper going through stasis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PepperGrl

Reaction score
I had to take my two bunnies with my for theweekend to visit my family. They seemed fine throughout theweekend, but on Sunday night I notice very small poops from my girlPepper. Both bunnies share a cage on trips so I gave themboth some canned pumpkin because they have both been shedding prettybadly. They ate quite a bit of pumpkin and both bunniesseemed ok. We got back last night and they had some play timebefore bed. I have put them back in seperate cages for todaybecause I wanted to monitor food intake and poops.Butterscotch seems fine but Pepper hasn't pooped today. Sheis eating hay, pellets and drinking her water from what I can see, andpresently she is even flopped in her cage. But no poopsworries me especially since I found small poops two days ago.I'm taking the necessary precautions ( I reread the GI stasis thread)with canned pumpkin, papaya, pineapple and nutrical. Myquestion is... is there a need to get a hold of my vet. Sheseems to be fine other than the poops. Is there somethingelse this could be or should I call my vet and try to get her inasap? I'm confused and scared that this could be seriousespecially after reading about poor Misty. Any help would beappreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jamie and Pepper

As long as sheis eating anddrinking you are ingood shape , how is her urineout put , is she peeeingas much as she is taking in ? Keepa close eye on her . keep us postedplease .

Hi PepperGrl,

I'd definitely continue with the regime you're doing now. Shehad small poops last when? Yesterday if I'm reading thiscorrectly?

Some vets will prefer hold offa day if she's still eating anddrinking and see how it goes. The NutriCal, canned pumpkin,etc. should help her. Brush her and let her hop around sothat her system keeps moving. The treatments I had to give toTucker every 4 hours.

Will say a prayer for her. Excellent job in catching it whenyou did and separating them. Please keep us posted.

-Carolyn

I just seperated them this morning and so farshe has peed once and I've seen her at her water bottletwice. I saw her eat pellets for a little bit and eathay. Still no poops though and she is usually a poopmachine. But it is the middle of the day when they normallysleep or are relaxing so that could be some of it. Oh and Iforgot to mention... after I fed them the canned pumpkin on Sundaynight, when we got home Monday night Pepper had a poop kinda hangingfrom her butt (like it was attached by hair) and when it finally fell,there were three poops (all normal size) attached by hair. SoI'm still a little confused. I will keep you updated.

Jamie

P.S. Carolyn I was typing when you were posting I guess. Lastsmall poops were seen Monday morning and big poops attached by hairwere seenMonday night. I didn't want to jump thegun in contacting the vet so I will see how she does today after theregime kicks in.

Keep an eye onPepper.Hope she will produce some lateron. I know Pebbles doesn't poop too muchduring the day, but at night she poops somuch that she has to sit on her poops inher litter box.

Rainbows! :)

As long as she does still have somewhat of anappetite and is drinking, I wouldn't be overly concerned as long as itdoesn't go on too long.

Keep up on the pumpkin, nutri cal, etc. as well as offering a little dark leafy greens such as dandelion leaves.

Pam

I will do all of the above. How muchPumpkin is a good amount? I know it has some sugar so I don'twant to give her too much but I want it to work too.

Thanks again everyone... I will keep you updated.

Jamie

I believe poops attached by hair are actually ok, means that she is passing the hair....I see that out of Oreo now and again.

Hi Jamie!

Prayers and good thoughts sent!

Too many bunnies having GI issues.

We just went through this with our S'more. Our vet explained that thesymptoms can sometimes make it difficult to diagnos the cause. InS'mores case she suspected GI infection. She explained thatthe infection was probably causing the other symptoms such as aninbalance in flora, gas/bloat, and possible furblock. Instead oftreating for just one, she choose to treat for all.

The only things we had in addition to your treatment wassimethicone for gas/bloat (this was actually recommended byCarolyn, FYI...using this will cause no harm), and Laxatone forfurblock. The vet also gave S'more liquids via IV to help rehydrate her.

The vet prescribedantibiotic for the GI infection, but a GI infection may not be Pepper's issue.

S'more is almost completely back to normal and will have a followup with the vet tomorrow.

~Jim

We just went through the same thing with ourAbby. I'm convinced part of it was from the trip we went on, but Itreated her for GI all the same.

She's now back to her old self. Gave me a bath last night. :)

Thanks for all of you advice Jim... where wouldyou purchase simethicone and Laxatone? It's sosad that so many bunnies have problems with this. I am alsohaving a hard time finding Papaya tablets or dried Papaya... anyideas? Right now Pepper seems to be doing well on the regimeon pumpkin and pineapple. She even has pooped a fewtimes!!!! YEAH FOR POOPS!!! I hope this isn'tanything serious but I will keep a close eye on her for the next fewdays. Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers forPepper.

~Jamie

PepperGrl wrote:
I am also having a hard time finding Papaya tablets or driedPapaya... any ideas?
I got Papaya tablets in the vitamin sectionat Walmart.

Dried Papaya I got from the bird section of PetSmart.

And fresh Papaya you can get in Produce in your Supermarket.

Has Pepper chewed on the plastic screen lately?

Rainbows! :)

Thanks Pet_Bunny. And yes... I eventried weighing it down with some extra litter and she just ripped itright out. I'm going to try again once she gets spayed inAugust. I wish she was as good as your Pebbles is :).

~ Jamie

Mr. Z started doing the same thing lastweek. Then he stopped eating and drinking. He hadbeen eating the papaya tablets but stopped. He has had threevet visits. The last one yesterday and the vet found he has afever. He has had IV fluids three times and now is getting ashot once a day with his meds. He acts okayotherwise. I just dropped him off at the vet for them tohospitalize him and force feedand see what they can findout. I was really afraid to try to keep treating him at homebecause he could take a bad turn so quickly.

Ed

PepperGrl wrote:
Thanks for all of you advice Jim... where would you purchasesimethicone and Laxatone? It's so sad that somany bunnies have problems with this. I am also having a hardtime finding Papaya tablets or dried Papaya... any ideas?Right now Pepper seems to be doing well on the regime on pumpkin andpineapple. She even has pooped a few times!!!! YEAHFOR POOPS!!! I hope this isn't anything serious but I willkeep a close eye on her for the next few days. Thank youeveryone for your thoughts and prayers for Pepper.

~Jamie
Sorry it took so long for me to get back on this.

Simethicone is in a lot of the infant liquid gas drops. I boughtmine at the local CVS. Any drugstore should have them. One namebrand is"Mylicon", but the store brand was much cheaper. I gave S'more .06mltwice a day. She's 3 years old andweighs 7lbs. Carolyn givesher 4lb Tucker .03ml twice a day.

Laxatone is available in most pet supply stores. I gave S'more 1 inch a day.

~Jim

Thanks again Jim. Pepper is doing wellbut those are definitely things I want to have on hand in case of otherbunny emergencies. I will put those on my shopping list.

Thanks again everyone!

Jamie

Latest posts

Back