Is paper ok to eat?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apebull

Reaction score
I made a Twig's a dig box the other day and put in it some tissue paper and crumbled up newspaper. So far he isn't really digging in it, but LOVES to shreed the paper with his mouth and I think he might be eating some of it too. So is it OK or should I take it from him?

He's fine. Mine love to shred paper too. Just make sure the paper isn't the shiny kind. The coating of the shiny paper isn't really good for them.

K:)

Honey shares this love of tearing up paper. I mainly use brown packing paper & give her a 3-ft square piece. Thank goodness it's ok, as paper tearing & cardboard chewing are her main hobbies.

Nancy McClelland wrote:
:yeahthat: If any of that were bad for them mine would have been dead a decade ago.
LOL :roflmao: Good no need to worry then. And we just and a new phone book drop off at the door step the other day. He'll have FUN with that.

Well, paper is just processed wood, anyway. As long as the ink isn't toxic, you should be fine. Rorschach eats bits of cardboard boxes I give him to tear up.

it seems they only go after the paper IIII have when im reading a book or doing writing stuff...thank goodness for a kindle

You want to tear the cover off the phone book because it is the shiny treated stuff, but they have so much fun shredding the rest of it! My husbnad gives me the old flyers for his business that are expired and I will crinkle them up in balls with a treat in the middle. The buns go crazy shredding the paper working for their treat. When ever I get the plain packing paper I give it to Becky, she has so much fun making a mess with it!

Phonebook fun
IMG_1400.jpg

Packing paper- before
100_0997.jpg

Happy bun- after
100_1000.jpg

The only problem would be if the bunny wasn't eating enough food because of eating paper or cardboard, but otherwise, no problem.

We put shredded newspaper, as well as a sheet of non-shredded newspaper, in our buns hutches for bedding and to soak up the urine. Its inevitable that our buns will eat the paper... the does even make nests and Min and D.B. make little tunnels in it! Bunnies like to shew on stuff, so we give ours wooden blocks to chew on. I do suppose that bit of paper they eat every once in a while is good fiber right?

Ted used to be the funniest. He loved cardboard boxes and brown bags. He'd get in the bag, stand it up with him still inside and then he would either tip it over or chew a hole thru it so he could go in and out. If you gave him a box, it would take him about 5 to 10 minutes and he'd have a hole big enough to get inside and another ten minutes and he'd have a hole big enough on the other side to do a "run thru". The only thing you have to be careful about is anything with a photo quality picture as they are usually a plastic applique-the ones that look like art work are made with organic vegetable dyes.

I give my kids sea grass matts, they love to dig and chew on them. It's a nice bottom for their burrow boxes. I have seen the twists, but havn't bought any.

In my beef class we learned that when fed to cows, paper and cardboard are about as digestible as straw. Rabbits and cows are obviously different, but no eating a little paper won't hurt and shredding it is lots of fun. If your bun is eating a whole lot, I might start to limit exposure.

Paper is one of those free toys that bunnies love just the same! Try to get it without ink, but if it it does have ink, make sure the ink is soy-based!

Latest posts

Back