is orchard grass hay alright

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiabia0

Reaction score
Nobody has timothy bales around here at the moment. The guy I got a hold of has one bale left of orchard grass. He said someone used to buy that kind for their rabbits for years and I've heard about it I just want some opinions. Is it fattening or anything like alfalfa is?

tiabia0 wrote:
Nobody has timothy bales around here at the moment. The guy I got a hold of has one bale left of orchard grass. He said someone used to buy that kind for their rabbits for years and I've heard about it I just want some opinions. Is it fattening or anything like alfalfa is?

Orchard grass hay is fine, but some rabbits are hard to switch back to the timothy once they are on orchard :p

my bunnies really like it. but what do you mean that some bunnies are hard to switch back to timmy after it, luv-bunniz? :?

I feed my buns orchard once in awhile and have never had any troubles getting them to eat timothy again afterwards. :)

tonyshuman wrote:
my bunnies really like it.  but what do you mean that some bunnies are hard to switch back to timmy after it, luv-bunniz?  :?
I have heard alot of storys and exprienced it myself with alot of animals that when you switch them to orchard grass (and, there is a taste difference, sweeter) then they wont eat timothy. Every bun is different though.

We offer a variety of hays....all the grasses and even some alfalfa. Each type of hay....and in fact each cut and each field...has it's own distinctive texture and taste. By offering different types of hay, it encourages a more natural type foraging and gives them something to do to occupy their time. And different types of hay require different chewing mechanics which give those ever growing teeth a good workout.

Randy

I try to buy as manytypes as possible. Today I just put an order in for 3 (or was it 4?) mini bales from binky bunny, including one of orchard hay.

Mine love it, but are still a little unsure about the oat hay (well, except for Ibimi who will eat anything - and Onion who wont be left out!).

ra7751 wrote:
We offer a variety of hays....all the grasses and even some alfalfa.

Sorry this is a bit off topic, but how much would you recommend of feeding alfalfa? I am always so scared that I will feed too much if I feed any at all :?

I've only given alfalfa to my rabbits up until they're 6 or 7 months old. Alfalfa makes bunnies gain weight. Timothy is the best to me, as well as most other people.

Yeah my vet was like NO MORE...lol
Simon is very picky and no matter which type of hay or from where I have tried he will only eat Alfalfa. I offer him brome and timothy all the time and was giving cubed alfalfa as a treat like once a week...but she said knock that off and if I do make more like one every 2 months...
Oat, Orchard, Botanical...etc...he won't eat em...

My rabbit is picky. When I brought him home when he was six weeks, he would not eat alfalfa hay or the cubes. Since day one, he will only eat Oxbow's Orchard Grass. I've tried everything. I caught him nibbling on some of Berry-Boo's timothy hay, though. When I offered it to him in his cage, he wanted nothing to do with it. I guess it's best when you eat something you aren't supposed to.

I wonder if that's why peanut butter tastes so much better when you sneak some from the jar with your finger? (instead of a knife or spoon?) :p

I feed Timothy hay, dried grass (that i picked from the garden and dried out) and fresh grass.

Is this okay?

I've always found that fresh grass from the yard/garden is wonderful. You just need to make sure that there are no pesticides on it and to pick it from areas away from roads. I have to hunt around about 50 meters from a road by my parent's house to find good clover that I know doesn't have stuff on it. :p

Sam used to LOVE orchard grass.

Latest posts

Back