Is my rabbit trying to be friends with my dog?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smiledreamlove

Reaction score
So Kuromi is in the living room with me at the moment with free access (everything's been bunny proofed prior to her coming in) and she's thoroughly enjoying herself!

This isn't the first time she's done this, but she's boldly approaching my border collie x lab. Izzy (the dog) is wimpy by nature and very loyal to me. I see no issues having her in the same room, as she has never shown an interest in harming my guinea pig who is her friend, and is more worried than the little animals are of her!!

Romi is having a ball with her. She keeps circling around her, binkying, going up to sniff her all over, and has just started climbing all over her. Izzy, whilst a little concerned, has just laid there. And now, is spreading her legs and offering her belly to Kuromi. My male cat suckles off of my dog and has since he was a baby (weird animals I own, I know!)... so I think Izzy is just thinking Romi wants to do the same thing haha. Izzy has never had babies, but after a few phantom pregnancies it has shown that Izzy has a strong maternal instinct, as she used to put her toys between her legs and sleep like that until she was speyed.

Should I be concerned? Or should I just let them be together? Romi keeps laying down beside my dog and is lost when Izzy climbs up on the couch - she's starting to find a way up to her, bless her. Izzy is tolerating her, and isn't angry - but she does seem a little overwhelmed by the persistent nature of my bunny and doesn't know how to respond since she won't suckle lol.

Does anyone else have a rabbit with a good dog friendship??
Thanks for reading,
Chelle x

Just thought I'd add a photo...
392101_10150459745595817_599905816_9144106_702510875_n.jpg

NO i dont my sisters GUINEA PIG Buddy and our Boxer Bam (dog) are such good friends! They love each other, and yes my rabbit is actually a friend with our Cat!
I hope this helped :rabbithop

My rabbit loves the dog and has since the first moment she saw him. He is old and grumpyand pretends he doesn't like her like an annoying little sister. I catch him kissing her and hugging her a lot. He also sleeps outside her room when we are away from home.They also tag team a lot to get treats together. Your dog is verysweet so, it looks like they are going to be good friends.Rabbit in charge of course.
13413_201446_240000001.jpg

My dog (Abby) and my bunnies are all right together I sometimes get a little bit scared when Abby gets too hyper with Snickers and skittles (bunnies). But Abby is great with cats but fears small animals more then larger ones. As long as she's seen one of my fsmily members with the animal before hand. If it's wild on the other hand she'll go all out defensive (and aggresive, at times) over anything inside the property. BUt in your case I wouldn't be to worried about it if your dog gets along well with your other animals, and i think your bun thinks of her as another motherly figure more then anything.

Thanks everyone!! Yes Izzy is rather laid back in nature and very loyal to me - she's had all sorts of animals come and go around her and is also very good with my guinea pigs when they're on my bed. Thanks again!!

I have the same, my two dogs get along splendidly with Pembrooke. I trust them with her but only if I'm there. I'd never trust them alone with each other as someone said on here "it only takes once".
Jj

Aw, what lovely pictures :) I have pics of my late dog Coco sitting with my bunnies. My old mini rex used to make fur nests for the cat and lie up close and cuddle with the dog. :) Very friendly, she was.
Your dog Izzy is not spayed then? I would have her spayed to reduce phantom pregnancies and complications later on. :)

Thanks again for the incoming stories, they do make me smile with ease.
Kuromi and Izzy would never be left alone together. I supervise everything like that as I am more than aware of how easily injuries and fatal mistakes can occur. Ive worked in rescues and have seen the consequences of poor supervision.
And yes Izzy is spayed. We were urged by my vet to once her second phantom pregnancy was finished and her hormonal level dropped. It was important not to do it during that time as she'd have complications with her hornones otherwise. However she's a very maternal little lady and I sometimes feel guilty for not allowing her one litter before doing it. Granted even when she growls at her dysfunctional children, I think she truly enjoys being motherly, haha!!

Back