Is my rabbit too old to neuter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nat1234

Reaction score
Hi guys
Back when I got my rabbit I was only 8 so I obviously didn't know anything about rabbits
and my mom did not do any research, I think she assumed she knew what she was doing as she had rabbits growing up
So we never ended up getting him fixed and he's 8 years old now
I was wondering if it was too late to get him fixed or if it was still possible and just as safe as it would be for a younger bun
I just feel like it'd help SO much with his litter habits and cage aggression
also we're planning on moving into a bigger house somewhat soon and if I have the space and my moms ok with it I think he'd really enjoy having a friend finally

also ik females have a high risk of cancer if they're not fixed, could my male bunny also have an increased risk to diseases

Yes your rabbit can have an in reased risk to cancers and could have aggression or bad habits like yrin spraying.
I don't believe it is too old to neuter your rabbit, however if you take your bunny in to a rabbit savvy vet they can give him a check up and tell you what is best for him. Surgery has a lot of drawbacks and an older rabbit will have more risks going into a surgery than a younger rabbit. It is a good idea to consult a vet who can specifically look at your bunny and talk to you. As well, ensure you find a vet who has done many surgeries on rabbits and they are delicate little creatures, and not every vet is trained or experienced with them!

Females have a very high cancer chance if unspayed, but with males it's really only done for behavioral and/or bonding reasons. 8 is not necessarily too old, but absolutely make sure that you have a very bunny-savvy vet with a good bit of experience operating on rabbits and absolutely get preliminary bloodwork done. This is to ensure he doesn't have any underlying conditions or kidney/liver issues that could significantly raise the risks of surgery/

Thank you both so much !!!
In that case I'll be looking into it soon

Back