Is my rabbit really 8 weeks old?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrynxRalph

Reaction score
I got my rabbit on 12/21. His name is Brynx. I believe he is a Rex rabbit. The breeder told me that his birthday is November 7th. I litter trained him in 3 days. He pee’s only in his litter box and mostly poops in there as well minus a couple territorial poops in his cage. He does not poop outside of his cage when he is let out for play time. I was wondering if it is possible for him to truly be only a month and some weeks old since It was not difficult at all to litter train him. He was an outdoor rabbit and is now indoors. I’m concerned of his true age only because I want to get him neutered as soon as he is 4 months. I haven’t read of anyone being able to litter train a rabbit that early.

Some young rabbits do litter train quite young. But sometimes those same bunnies 'forget' that training later on with the onset of hormones.

As for neutering, vets may neuter a male as soon as the testicles descend. That can be before 4 months.
How soon they will operate depends on the vet.

When my lionhead was 11-12 weeks old, she got her head stuck in the exact kind of NIC grid pictured. Granted, she's a dwarf, but even accounting for breed differences (rex adult size in the US is around 8-10 lbs vs my lionhead's 3.5 lbs), there's NO way that rabbit is 7 weeks old. A seven-week-old rabbit, at least with small breeds, can comfortably sit on your hand. Also, he just doesn't look like a baby, plus he's the size of my adult dwarf rabbits if not a smidge bigger. He looks around the size my polish mix was when I got him at 4-5 months old and Layne weighs in at a bit over 8 lbs as an adult.

On a side note, he's freaking adorable!

When my lionhead was 11-12 weeks old, she got her head stuck in the exact kind of NIC grid pictured. Granted, she's a dwarf, but even accounting for breed differences (rex adult size in the US is around 8-10 lbs vs my lionhead's 3.5 lbs), there's NO way that rabbit is 7 weeks old. A seven-week-old rabbit, at least with small breeds, can comfortably sit on your hand. Also, he just doesn't look like a baby, plus he's the size of my adult dwarf rabbits if not a smidge bigger. He looks around the size my polish mix was when I got him at 4-5 months old and Layne weighs in at a bit over 8 lbs as an adult.

On a side note, he's freaking adorable!

Thank you so much!! :)
I really didn’t think he was when the breeder told me! I was super confused. She said his birthday was November 7th when I asked. I was a bit confused on how he was so big to be 7 weeks but also how fast I was able to litter train him. I thought a baby would be smaller but also more hesitant. I have no idea of telling how old he is, if he is in fact not 7 weeks. And I have been feeding him alfalfa hay & young rabbit food! So that concerns me because if he is past 4/5 months he should be on Timothy and adult pellets along with greens! Do you know if there is a forum on here where someone could possibly help me determine his age? The breeder swears that he is 7 weeks so she is no help.

The best place to ask would definitely be in the sub-forum for breeders/showers - those folks have far more experience than your average pet rabbit owner (ie me) when it comes to estimating the age of a "teenage" sort of rabbit :).

Latest posts

Back