Is my rabbit full Flemish Giant?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carliebutton

Reaction score
Hi guys, newbie here! I have had my new baby for about a week now, I named her Delilah. She definitely has the personality of a Flemy but I read online that she could be a mix with New Zealand because they look a lot alike. I was wondering if anyone could give me an opinion?! Thank you!!ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1388977408.144122.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1388977438.114695.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1388977457.081947.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1388977486.286939.jpg

Awe so cute and they totally look alike! It kind of worries me she is going to turn out to be a boy. That's what happened with my first "girl". I sexed her and she has the slit, so I am pretty sure she's a she. Lol. Is yours a full Flemy?!

Carliebutton...Your bun does look like a flemmie although I am having difficulty due to the large pic size.

FreezeNcody... your bun does have an unusual color but also the fur seems smoother and shinier than any flemmie I have seen. He's very cute though. The parents or grandparents etc may have had a mix somewhere in the line. The color could possibly be from breeding two colors that are not correct for breeding together.

Adorable - mine are full flemmies.. and they are "blonde" or "fawn" colored. I'd say they're very similar in shape to yours.. mine are just 9 weeks old yesterday.

IMG_20131228_211046.jpg

Is she eating like a growing giant? lol Mine seem to be insatiable eaters. Like growing is super hard work and they need MOAR FUEL!

I was told he is, parents were on the smaller side about 15-19 lbs. he does have some weird coloring.

To me he almost looks like a satin/flemish cross because of the sheen of the coat. The sheen is only found in the satin breeds. Maybe its just me or the pictures lolXD

@robinlaska your babies are so adorable. I really love that color. Grey is another one of my favorites. Here are a couple other pictures. I read In the recommendations that it's better to get straight on pictures. She is quite the crazy lady so it was rather hard to get her to sit still. Haha. And yes! She eats like a piggy. I haven't gotten to weigh her yet so I just give her a half a cup of pellets and the half a cup of veggies and lettuce since I estimate around 5-7 lbs. :)

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1389044987.903643.jpg

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1389045008.559939.jpg

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1389045024.018425.jpg

Hi guys, newbie here! I have had my new baby for about a week now, I named her Delilah. She definitely has the personality of a Flemy but I read online that she could be a mix with New Zealand because they look a lot alike. I was wondering if anyone could give me an opinion?! Thank you!!

I personally think that you really can't tell unless he was pedigreed. A pedigree is a document of the ancestors and it goes 3-4 generations back. He could be mostly Flemish with 1 grandsire being new zealand. Which would make him a f2 (or is it f3) Its really hard to tell. It looks like a Flemish but it really is quite hard to tell without a pedigree or hearsay. With some breeds it's easy to assume what they are (ex. lionhead, mini rex, holland lop.) but once they get bigger it can be harder to tell.

@rabbitgirl101 i wish I could figure out how to get a pedigree, I don't think it's possible because I bought her at a pet store you know? I seriously saw her and left and thought about her all day. I went back and bought her because I wouldn't have been able to live with myself lol. She was in a tiny cage and she was just going nuts every time I went up to the cage. They told me she was a male, so shows how much they know /:

This is my other baby, Tater Tot. :) he's tiny compared to her. Any opinions on him? I was told Himalayan/albino/dwarf.

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1389045504.501219.jpg

@rabbitgirl101 i wish I could figure out how to get a pedigree, I don't think it's possible because I bought her at a pet store you know? I seriously saw her and left and thought about her all day. I went back and bought her because I wouldn't have been able to live with myself lol. She was in a tiny cage and she was just going nuts every time I went up to the cage. They told me she was a male, so shows how much they know /:

Yeah, I know the feeling lol, whenever I see a rabbit I want I'm just like ok, thats it, time to contact them lol:)

If shes from a pet shop, I would think that she is a mix of multiple different breeds, most breeders who breed for pedigree's don't sell to petshops, Seeing more of a body profile on her makes me think she has flemish in her but her ears and head don't look like a flemishes. Flemish giants usually have long heads with large ears. Here is an adult one.
flemish.jpg

I feel like she has something like Florida white
florida_white.jpg

or even New zealand
new_zealand.jpg

but I think it would be hard to tell since a lot of the parents of pet shop rabbits are mixes.

She is really cute though!!
Aww tater tot is adorable I love his little nose:)

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all the information rabbit girl101! You're awesome. I'm totally thinking the New Zealand because she's a bit more round than the other one you posted (can't think of the name just know it had white in it lol) and thank you! I love him. He's so much different than her too, it's crazy.

Yes, those pics were easier. I am no expert but your bun looks Flemish to me. I didn't see anything that would make me think it is a mixed rabbit. How old is your bun?

@pagal I am not sure. I have yet to take her to the vet yet, but judging by weight and the regular weights for flemish and estimating her around 5-7 pounds I am looking at around 3 months. But I could be wrong.

Latest posts

Back