is my newborn bunny being overfed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloudmyna

Reaction score
My bunny gave birth for the second time, and she had 8 kits. Unfortunately, 5 of them have already died. I have 3 now, and I’m starting to worry about one of them being overfed? I’m not sure what it is, but one of them has a VERY round belly. They may be perfectly healthy, but I just need to make sure. I have posted a picture of the one bunny who I’m worried about. (they’re not the best photos & I don’t have the best place for them, sorry!)

Attachments

• 1EAF27E6-10BA-4EC1-8922-9C6FC37F389A.jpeg
    1EAF27E6-10BA-4EC1-8922-9C6FC37F389A.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 66F73505-8956-4FDD-8083-A3E07441E8F8.jpeg
    66F73505-8956-4FDD-8083-A3E07441E8F8.jpeg
    123.6 KB · Views: 20
It does look very big to me. I assume that your doe has more milk than needed for the little kits (as she was expecting a large litter), I don’t know if that’s possible. It also looks like the third bunny (not the fat one or the light coloured one) might need more feedings. Here is an old thread I’ve seen on it and hopefully it’ll help: Is it possible for a mama bunny to over feed its babies?

What are your plans for breeding her? And when was her last litter?

It does look very big to me. I assume that your doe has more milk than needed for the little kits (as she was expecting a large litter), I don’t know if that’s possible. It also looks like the third bunny (not the fat one or the light coloured one) might need more feedings. Here is an old thread I’ve seen on it and hopefully it’ll help: Is it possible for a mama bunny to over feed its babies?

What are your plans for breeding her? And when was her last litter?
Thank you for the thread, and I’ll check on the darker colored bunny! Also I don’t have any plans for breeding her anymore, and her last litter was 5 weeks ago. We didn’t know she gave birth the first time, so we didn’t separate the male bunny and the female bunny. He ended up mating with her right after she gave birth, so she had her second litter 5 weeks after her first.

Back