Is my bunny sick?!! :( ..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LkristalJ

Reaction score
So today I cleaned Moo's cage at around 7 this morning.. When I got home at around 1, he hadn't pooped/tinkled.. I went for a nap and checked again at 5 and STILL nothing.. So, I took him out for a run and he was his quick self.. Only for about 15 mins as it had started to rain.. I got concerned.. So, I took him to my room, where he usually poops and tinkles.. And he did.. But I wouldn't say it's MUCH.. And his poopies seem to be smaller than a couple days ago! He even ate his cecals.. BUT .. I'm still worried.. I rubbed his tummy while he was on the working dryer, but he kept trying to get away.. He is eating and drinking water (I think.. I use a little bowl, so I can't be certain, but I usually do see him drinking water..) .. I put him back in his cage a little over an hour and he hasn't pooped there yet..

Just realized due to time differences, I should clarify.. It's been AT LEAST 12 hours since he's pooped with the except on once, 2 hours ago.. Ie, he pooped in the 10th hour of the 12..

I did give him some apple and carrot yesterday.. I also put some hay and fresh grass in his cage and he ate some.. Not all ..

I don't have any simethecone.. But I do have adult Maalox and Pepto Bismol.. Can I use any of these in case it is gas?? What do I do!?

I'm scared as this bunny is my life and I treat him like he were my child! I don't know what to do!

Don't panic.

I've had buns go for a couple of days acting/eating/drinking less than normal...and then bounce back as if there was nothing wrong.

If he's eating.... then he's drinking. Rule-of-thumb is that they won't be eating if they're not drinking.
If one of my buns stop eating, the first thing I check is their water supply and make sure their waterbottles aren't stopped up.

If he stops pooping altogether, then you can start to be concerned.
Buns can actually go for a few days without eating their food and survive on eating cecals.
Drinking is more important. Dehydration is much more of a concern than a bun not eating.

I wouldn't recommend using the Malox or Pepto.

If you can get some parsley try offering that to him. Only a couple of sprigs if he's not used to greens. Wet it down to add some extra water, too.
Parsley will help to settle an upset tummy.

I would also recommend calling the vet to let them know that there may be a problem. Find out their office hours and ask what you can do if it turns into an "emergency" (in other words...can you come in without an appointment).

:pray:

Don't use any human meds. If there's anything wrong, it's more likely to be constipation, not gas. If have access to papaya or fresh pineapple [not canned], try some of that. If not, feed more apple.

He'll probably be better by morning, but if not, call your vet.

Oh my gosh! You eased my panic a bit! I brought his cage into my bedroom and as I type this, he just hopped back in and is eating pellets.. So, that means he's drinking water too right?? Even though I hsven't seen him??

As tinky as it may sound, my room is like one huge litter box for him.. So, I have him running around in it and there are poopies all overrrrrrrrrr!!!! So, I'm a little bit less worried.. However, I will keep him in my room where it will be warmer .. (And I can watch him as long as I'm awake!)

From my experiences, he's most likely drinking if he's eating.

Does he have a water bottle or a bowl?

If he has a bottle, put a small mark on the water level, and then check it in the morning to see how much he drank.
If he has a bowl, fill it to the brim and check to see how much he drank in the morning.

Keep us posted.

:pray:

Sometimes he's lying flat on his stomach.. Other times he's sitting with all four paws tucked underneath him.. Does this help??

Giving him some apple in case it's constipation.. He had yesterday though.. Is that bad?

LkristalJ wrote:
He drinks from a bowl.. No matter what I do, he refuses to use a bottle! He tends to tip the bowl over though.. But I'll find some way of marking it.
My buns, that use bowls, have heavy ceramic ones that they can't tip over.
They're actually small soup bowls that have handles....and I can clip the handle to the side of the cage, too.

If I need to monitor their drinking, I'll put a measured amount in (ie; 1 cup/or 8 ozs), and then in the morning I'll pour it back into the measuring cup to see how much they drank.

LkristalJ wrote:
Sometimes he's lying flat on his stomach.. Other times he's sitting with all four paws tucked underneath him.. Does this help??

Giving him some apple in case it's constipation.. He had yesterday though.. Is that bad?

His relaxing posture sounds quite normal.

A small piece of apple on a daily basis isn't too bad. Good source of fiber, good for extra liquid....but a bit high in sugar content. Just don't over do it.

He doesn't have his big hutch as yet so I'm using a smaller bowl.. I do have plans to get the ceramic one as soon as it's built though.. I put a mark on the outside of the bowl.. So, let's see if it works.. He does like to stand in it though! Oh, oops.. Lol.. Ok.. I will withhold apples and carrots for the next week then!

No, give him a bit of apple for a few days, until his pebbles are back to normal, then stop.

Also once he's back to normal, you really should train him to use a litter box. It will make it easier to tell how much he's "doing" every day.

Hmmm, I don't know if this helps at all.

But when you were outside did you see him do any at all?

For a stage in our Harvey's life he didn't poop or pee at all at night but he would eat and drink just fine and then when I put him out to run outside early morning he'd just instantly do his business... I have no idea why he did it but he did it
for a week until he finally started doing it inside.

LakeCondo wrote:
No, give him a bit of apple for a few days, until his pebbles are back to normal, then stop.

Also once he's back to normal, you really should train him to use a litter box. It will make it easier to tell how much he's "doing" every day.
:yeahthat:

Hello,

I think your bunnycould have a fur blockage, orperhaps isin "stasis". You definitely need to get her to the vet! But in the meantime, what I do in situations like this, I squeeze the juice from a slice of fresh pineapple ( about 1/3 of a cup) and mix it with olive oil ( 1/3 of a cup). Mix the twotogether and syringe 3 - 5 mls into your bunny every hour until Moostarts pooping again.

Moo willalso need Simethicone for gas, and she will need pain medication. You can use Children's Ibuprofen or Motrin and going by the chart in Lucile Moore's Special Care book, it is 2-10 mg/kg once every 12 - 24 hours. Or if you can find Traumeel at the Health food store, this will work too.
Do you have Chamomile tea? I syringe warm chamomile tea after I have given the olive oil /fresh pineapple juice protocol. (Never use canned pineapple juice, the enzymes have been destroyed due to processing.)
Good luck, This protocol has helped many, many bunnies over the years, I hope it will help your Moo too! I

Evonne

evonnesart wrote:
Hello,

I think your bunnycould have a fur blockage, orperhaps isin "stasis". You definitely need to get her to the vet! But in the meantime, what I do in situations like this, I squeeze the juice from a slice of fresh pineapple ( about 1/3 of a cup) and mix it with olive oil ( 1/3 of a cup). Mix the twotogether and syringe 3 - 5 mls into your bunny every hour until Moostarts pooping again.

Moo willalso need Simethicone for gas, and she will need pain medication. You can use Children's Ibuprofen or Motrin and going by the chart in Lucile Moore's Special Care book, it is 2-10 mg/kg once every 12 - 24 hours. Or if you can find Traumeel at the Health food store, this will work too.
Do you have Chamomile tea? I syringe warm chamomile tea after I have given the olive oil /fresh pineapple juice protocol. (Never use canned pineapple juice, the enzymes have been destroyed due to processing.)
Good luck, This protocol has helped many, many bunnies over the years, I hope it will help your Moo too! I

Evonne

I have read some posts on etherbun re. the use of extra virgin olive oil for stasis. but never heard of giving it in the amounts that you are suggesting. Where did you get this info? :?...

I have my own rabbit group ( The Natural Rabbit) and we have been using this protocol successfuly for quite a few years now. I sometimes add edible aloe vera to the mix. I give 3 - 5 mls of this mix every hour.

Depends how badly blocked they are - we haved never lost a bunny using this protocol..it is much easier on them than drugs - although sometimes drugs are needed too. I have been helping a friend's bunny who had a partical impaction - and we threw everything at him - conventional ,alternative, herbals teas , the works, and finally, about 3 weeks later, the impaction broke. He is 10 years old and doing really well now. ;o)

It's up to youhow often youdecide to do this protocol, but all I can tell you is that this combination works.

Evonne

My bunny was having the same problem. I took him to the vet yesterday morning (Thursday). She said he has stasis & prescribed 2 medications for him. Cisapride & bactrim syrup. After 3 doses, he started getting back to normal. He's already starting to poop like crazy again. I've been letting him run around my room for a long time, feeding him parsley, hay, & papaya. I've also been grooming him, & pulling out lots of loose fur. He's doing excellent now!

Back