Is my bunny sick?!! :( ..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LoveMyRabbit0910 wrote:
My bunny was having the same problem. I took him to the vet yesterday morning (Thursday). She said he has stasis & prescribed 2 medications for him. Cisapride & bactrim syrup. After 3 doses, he started getting back to normal. He's already starting to poop like crazy again. I've been letting him run around my room for a long time, feeding him parsley, hay, & papaya. I've also been grooming him, & pulling out lots of loose fur. He's doing excellent now!
:clapping:

Truly glad to hear he's doing excellent.

Nervous about hair blockages myself. Do lots of grooming, along with feeding hay and papaya. Giving him all that exercise was a great idea. Getting him moving helps move things, if you know what I mean. Will have to keep that in mind.

Wishing continued success. Isn't it amazing how we get excited about poop? Glad you saw a lot. Hope it keeps coming.

K :)

I'm now seeing the last few replies.. So.. Things I've noticed about Moo.. He does poop.. But in my room.. I don't know if he thinks that's his litter box.. Gave him Simethicone last night and got a lot of poop.. In my room.. In the cage .. His cage was cleaned about three hours ago and it's still cleaned.. I'm unsure of what to do now.. :s .. Do I give him some more Simethicone today?? Do I stick with apples?? I also bought some fresh pumpkin, but I don't know how to use it.. Raw, cooked??

Well, if he's pooping normally again, you should start slowly reintroducing his normal food, but continuing a little of the apple. You don't want him to have diarrhea. So you might want to eat most of the pumpkin yourself.

Except in November, the only kind of pumpkin people in the US can get is canned pumpkin, so that is what was meant. Canned pumpkin is cooked & pureed. But as you have an uncooked pumpkin, you could cut a few small cubes to see if he'll eat it. If not, cook some in water & try those. No need to puree it, though you could mash them up with a fork after cooking.

To have ready for any problem in the future, you might look at the baby food in jars to see what would be best. If the stores there don't have canned pureed pumpkin or squash, get pureed carrots. But get whatever has little or no added sugar.

But in the long run you need to get him to use a litter box or boxes. Get some & put each one in a spot where he does a lot of pooping. Pick up poops that he does it in other places, but leave a few in the litter box so he gets the idea. It's well worth the trouble to train him this way & then you can see if the amount starts to change.

WE HAVE POOPSSSSSS IN THE CAGEEEEEE!!!! WE HAVE POOPSSSSSS IN THE CAGEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! I don't know if it can be considered normal, but at least we have some normal looking ones!! I gace him an abundance of fresh grass last night and just a couple of pellets.. Maybe 30 or so..

Ohh, I thought raw fresh pumpkin was the best.. It's available year round here though.. I cut a little piece and he took a nibble and didn't seem to be very interested in it.. I'll check out baby food next time I'm in the grocery..

I know I need to litter train him, but the cage he's in presently would be too small for a box on top of his food and water container and him.. We're having a hutch made, so we should get it soon hopefully..

It's kind of somewhat litter trained as he only poops/wees in a certain corner in my room and never in the rest of the house.. I know it's not the ideal situation.. But it's a some weird sort of training.. Maybe I should put a box there and see how it works??

LkristalJ wrote:
WE HAVE POOPSSSSSS IN THE CAGEEEEEE!!!! WE HAVE POOPSSSSSS IN THE CAGEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! I don't know if it can be considered normal, but at least we have some normal looking ones!! I gace him an abundance of fresh grass last night and just a couple of pellets.. Maybe 30 or so..

Ohh, I thought raw fresh pumpkin was the best.. It's available year round here though.. I cut a little piece and he took a nibble and didn't seem to be very interested in it.. I'll check out baby food next time I'm in the grocery..

I know I need to litter train him, but the cage he's in presently would be too small for a box on top of his food and water container and him.. We're having a hutch made, so we should get it soon hopefully..

It's kind of somewhat litter trained as he only poops/wees in a certain corner in my room and never in the rest of the house.. I know it's not the ideal situation.. But it's a some weird sort of training.. Maybe I should put a box there and see how it works??
Need to celebrate with you! WE HAVE POOP!

:party0002::dancingorig:

So glad to hear. Hope it continues

Also definitely put a box where he's going in your room. That's the spot he chose. The ONLY spot in your room. Excellent. Put a box there, and I know you will have success.

:hanging:
It does get better! And they are truly worth it.

ZRabbits wrote:
LkristalJ wrote:

Need to celebrate with you!  WE HAVE POOP!

So glad to hear.  Hope it continues

Also definitely put a box where he's going in your room.  That's the spot he chose.  The ONLY spot in your room.  Excellent.  Put a box there, and I know you will have success. 

It does get better!  And they are truly worth it.

Thankkk you for celebrating with me! I'm still not FULLY comfortable as it's not much.. But, it's a start at least!! Just gave him some fresh grass as well, he seems to enjoy it!! I'll def put a box in his poo area in my room!!

One question though.. Should I give him some more simethicone?? I gave him 2 ml over the space of about 8 hours last night.. And I think it helped..

And I'm def going to hang in there.. Unfortunately, my school schedule is a bit hectic this week and I won't be able to keep watch on him like I'd want to.. But let's hope it works out!!

:pray:

LkristalJ wrote:
ZRabbits wrote:
LkristalJ wrote:

Need to celebrate with you! WE HAVE POOP!

So glad to hear. Hope it continues

Also definitely put a box where he's going in your room. That's the spot he chose. The ONLY spot in your room. Excellent. Put a box there, and I know you will have success.

It does get better! And they are truly worth it.

Thankkk you for celebrating with me! I'm still not FULLY comfortable as it's not much.. But, it's a start at least!! Just gave him some fresh grass as well, he seems to enjoy it!! I'll def put a box in his poo area in my room!!

One question though.. Should I give him some more simethicone?? I gave him 2 ml over the space of about 8 hours last night.. And I think it helped..

And I'm def going to hang in there.. Unfortunately, my school schedule is a bit hectic this week and I won't be able to keep watch on him like I'd want to.. But let's hope it works out!!

:pray:

If it was me, I would give him another dose. It looks like what you did helped with the blockage, like you said, it's a start. Then see what happens tomorrow. I'd watch with the pumpkin. just a little bit, because you don't want to give him too much of different laxatives (medicine and natural) that you push him the other way towards diarehha.

Understand about being not fully comfortable. I'd be too, because you know you bunny just isn't there yet to be his ole self. Don't feel bad about your hectic schedule and not being there 24/7. Just observe the poop. You are doing the best you can.

Let us know how it goes.

Ok! I'd go give him 1 ml now and maybe another in a couple of hours then.. I have to put it on a piece of apple as he's not letting me syringe it into his mouth..

As for the pumpkin, he's not eating it.. Just had a nibble and left it there.. So, I'll hold off on that.. Didn't want to eat any fresh pineapple either, so I squashed it up in his water container.. He was just drinking from it, so I know he's at least getting a bit..

Will def keep updating until I'm certain he's back to his poopy self!

I'm certainly trying not to feel bad, but *sigh.. Gonna be spending at least 13 hrs away from him per day.. Separation issues. lol

Just as an update.. He is def pooping normally now.. Thank god!! I try to get him out every day for a run in the yard.. I also always pick fresh grass and wash it for him so that there is always grass in his cage..I also reduced the number of pellets he gets greatly.. AND I got some of the Gerber baby food in Squash, but he doesn't eat much.. So, that was a waste.. And I treated him with Simethicone as well.. So far, everything is back to normal.. And I am SO happy and excited that he is back to my normal bunny!

I just want to say thank you to everyone who helped and gave me such great advice!!

He's also growing so much!!

NEVER give rabbits aspirin, motrin or ibuprofin !! NEVER !!
If bunny is hurting, the only safe anti-pain med is METACAM.

If bunny is looking fatter than normal than may have blockage or gas.
Blockage - try lettuce only ! Only pineapple - but watch as any fruit can ferment and cause more gas !

If gas or blockage - this is dangerous !! Get X-ray ASAP.
That will tell you the problem. If gas try 50ml of OVOLINE a child anti-gas med.
That is the ONLY human med I would ever give a bunny !

Latest posts

Back