Is my bunny okay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriselli

Reaction score
At nighttime my bunny(shes 6 months) will have cecotrope droppings but during the day it stops and her poop goes back to normal.Is there something wrong or is she okay?

Last edited:
She has unlimited hay and has about 1/2 cup of show hutch deluxe pellets a day and we give her lettuce and some times parsley (kinda limited on veggies at the moment due to corona)

What breed is your bunny, if it’s a dwarf she’s already an adult and you will need to decrease the amount of pellets.

For example my bunny Odin as a kit ate 1 tablespoon pellets but when he turned 6 months, he started to produce left over cecotropes because the pellets amount was too much for what he needed when he stopped growing :)

Excess cecals can be from a too rich diet. The pellet feed you have is for breeding rabbits. That means it is super high in protein (17%), and is alfalfa-based (also rich). An indoor rabbit should have closer to 12% (up to 14%) protein and be timothy-based.

At 6 months of age, she is now an adult. That means her diet should be an adult diet. I'd look into switching her pellets (transition by mixing the old with the new). You can see some better options here:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/pellet-food.html
If you are able to continue giving greens daily (I know some people are limited on that due to corona) then her daily pellet amount should also be closer to 1/4 cup.

Be sure her hay is also a grass hay (not alfalfa).

Licorice is a netherland dwarf and shes already on timothy hay
thanks for all the help btw ;)

Latest posts

Back