is my bunny a dwarf?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t have enough room in the house to host a fully grown adult rabbit, especially with two dogs and will have to keep him outside if he’s large. I’d prefer to keep it inside if he’s a dwarf, as I think his smaller size will make him content being contained to my room when he’s not outside.

Actually dwarf rabbits tend to be higher in energy and so they need as much space as a large breed rabbit. You will be happier keeping him indoors as you will be able to interact with him more (as you show in your photos).

We also have a couple dogs (and a small home). Many dogs can be trained to get along just fine with a rabbit. You can read more about that here if you like.

upload_2019-7-1_19-55-29.png

I agree that the difference between a dwarf rabbit and a "normal-sized" rabbit will not significantly affect how much storage space, cage space, xpen space, and free-roam space you'll need. Therefore, if you think you cannot house a non-dwarf rabbit in your indoor space at this time, see if you can re-arrange furniture, rabbit-proof some more, or other maneuvers. Just based on my background, I always try to steer people to housing their rabbits inside, so I have my biases.

How old is he? He looks quite similar to my rabbit (and his mother) they are dwarf. Your rabbit is already about same size as mine, maybe a little smaller. Mine is 8 months this week.

If this is his cage that wouldn't be enough whether he's a dwarf or full size rabbit, looks like a dog crate small size, that's only his toilet will take a half of it and he won't have space to exercise at all, in my experience my rabbit Leo is very active and if he has to stay still he is getting depressed turns his back at me and stay in his corner for hours, can stop eating or eat more than usual and gain some extra weight, normally he eats well but he moves a lot as well but if you cut him on exercise he can get really fat.

Latest posts

Back