Is my baby sick?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nemosher

Reaction score
After losing our Mini Rex 2 years ago, my husband and I decided, that with Easter being around the corner, and our daughter constantly talking about how she misses “her bunny”, it was time for a new family member. My husband purchased a black 8 week old bunny (believed to be a Havana) from a sketchy guy. Everyone fell in love with the little guy but I immediately felt that his stomach was blown up , like a balloon. I purchased baby gas drops and have been giving him belly rubs and pedialite (I don’t think he was taken care of when we was before). I’ve been treating him for about 10 hours now. I can hear the gas moving around in his tummy and the bloat has gone down, but I’m noticing that his paper bedding is turning a pinkish color. I’m assuming it’s his urine staining the bedding. Just wondering if I should take him too the vet. He’s been here a little over 24 hours and he’s probably very freaked out about everything going on so I don’t want to shock him too much but I don’t want to ignore these symptoms either. Do you think he’ll be ok?

So he's 8 week old and how long you have him? What you feed him in details (name, ingredients) and how much and were you given his old food for making slow transfer to new food? Was there a change of food recently?
When he was brought home was he already bloating or you noticed it later?
What snacks, vegs or fruit, fresh grass he ate recently?

When I posted this I had him for a little over 24 hours. I don’t know anything about the food he was given prior. I started him in KAYTEE natural rabbit pellets, water and alfalfa hay. All the guy told us was to hold off on veggies until he’s older and make sure to feed him hay. I’ve had young bunnies before, so I know unlimited alfalfa is a must and water. He was bloated from the minute my husband brought him home. I could feel it as soon as I picked him up. We’ve had him for about 2 weeks now and everything seems good. He’s eating and going to bathroom normally. His belly doesn’t feel distended anymore and he’s a happy bouncy little thing. So far so good. Thank you for all the comments! I appreciate! Thanks for looking out. :)

Attachments

• 5D3074F4-44C8-4549-861E-BFAE51342971.jpeg
    5D3074F4-44C8-4549-861E-BFAE51342971.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 2F592E99-A96E-415E-B2A3-E7B9C1BDDBF2.png
    2F592E99-A96E-415E-B2A3-E7B9C1BDDBF2.png
    459.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 42EC108F-0F57-42BF-8B79-75469613403F.png
    42EC108F-0F57-42BF-8B79-75469613403F.png
    451.7 KB · Views: 5
Back