Is it worth a call to the vet?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
INF0:

Description (Breed, color, weight) Dutch, male, neutered as a baby

Age 4 years, I've had him since he was 7 weeks old.

Sex male

Concise Summary of the Rabbit's Condition: He is reluctant to use the litter box again. He looks over the edge as if he's deciding if it's worth jumping in. His veggies, hay, water and pellets are all in the litter box.He doesn't normally lay in the litter box, he lays in his box with a blanket. He often ends up peeing/pooping next to the litter box.

When we're snuggling he does put his nose in the air as if he's trying to get a breath.

Otherwise, everything is normal. He eats, sleeps, plays, poops, pees (next to the litter box), plays, etc. like normal. He is not inside the litter box peeing over the edge.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION / CHECK LIST: (Please fill in relevant info).

Medical History
- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before?
- is s/he on any medications?

At the beginning of last summer, he had a fever, thick black snot on his nose, wheezing and putting his nose in the air,and the same litter box behavior decribed above. The vet said it was an URI and put him on an antibiotic (starts w/ a Z) for 5 days. Everything cleared up.

About 6 weeks later the symptoms returned. My friend gave me some more of the same antibiotic and he took it for 8 days. Everything cleared up.

Last Nov. the symptoms returned.I told the vet about the last round on antibiotics. The vet put him on Baytril for 2 weeks. Everything cleared up. At this time the vet stated he wasn't yet ready to suspect pasturella.

He took Benebac with the antibiotics all three times.

Diet

Eating and drinking remain normal. He free feeds Timothy hay, pellets and leafy veggies. His weight stays consistant at 4.5 pounds.

Other

He is molting, but wasn't at the other times of illness.No other symptomsexcept the reluctance to use his litter box and putting his nose in the air.

Additional

We have a dog and chickens but they don't come in contact w/ Hershey.I have some turtles that have tanks in Hershey's room, but he doesn't come in direct contact w/ them either. Hershey has an outdoor exercise pen that he has access to during good weather, but he has not been outside since November.

Hershey does take occasional trips to Christine's Critter Cafe. He has some minimal contant w/ therabbits there.

My question:

Soo...am I inventing things or might the reluctance to use the litter box, and the nose in the air be signaling another URI? Should I call the vet?

Thanks for the input!

I'd call on Monday. You know your bun best, and if you think he is starting to act similar to when he has been sick previously, you could be right. If the vet confirms that the URI is back again, see about doing a culture and sensitivity test. Also ask about doing a longer course of antibiotics to make sure you really get everything.

Sparky started to lose her litterbox habits. I found out that she has arthritis in her left rear leg and I'm guessing that it hurt to jump in the box. She gets a daily dose of metacam now and her litterbox habits are almost back to normal.

I also thought of arthritis. Maybe a lower edged litterbox? Of course UTI is also possible, but since he also pooed outside the box I would think maybe he has trouble getting into it. He is a bit young, but it is possible.

Thanks for the replies.

What I actually was wondering if this could be a return of his URI as this is the way it started the other 3 times. He doesn't actually seem sick yet, but the other times not using the litter box eventually evolved to a URI.

Is it too early to call the vet? Would it help to catch it this early? Should I wait and see what happens?

I don't think that it is ever too early to catch a problem. An x-ray will tell the vet immediately if it is arthritis. I saw Sparky's x-ray and it was very evident.

Even if it is another problem, the earlier you catch it the better.

Back