Is it possible to keep/domesticate a wild cottontail rabbit?

Discussion in 'General Rabbit Discussion' started by rupertismygod, May 24, 2010.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

1. May 25, 2010 #21

Mrs. PBJ

Mrs. PBJ

Mrs. PBJ

I just wanted to add about fixing him/her. No vet will do it so he/she will suffer from wanted to breed all the time.

What if you have a female and she thinks of your yard as a safe haven for her babies then you could have cotton tails in your yard for many many years to come.

I would leave her/him and let nature happen. You never known she/he could live for 4 year with you helping protect that little bunny but do it with the bun where it is supposed to be.

Kat

2. May 25, 2010 #22

Luluznewz

Luluznewz

Luluznewz

I think as people we have the bad habit of pushing our own needs and beliefs on animals. We tend to think that they think like us and need the same things, when in fact they really really do not.

I think the point is the rabbit would rather live a short life outside then a "long" one trapped in a house. It would be completely terrified and very very unhappy. That being said it probably wouldnt even survive in captivity anyway. Animals are supposed to be outside all the time, whatever happens. I wouldnt even block him off in your backyard. I think it would be best to allow him to do what he needs to do.

It would be great if you provided water and lots of secure hiding places if he wants to use them. Its nice that your yard can be a safe place, but I would really hope you have the maturity to understand that any kind of containment really would just be for your benefit, even if its hard to admit that.

Wild rabbits arn't supposed to be "safe" from predators all the time. They are just supposed to be free, even if that means risking being eaten.

He sees you as a predator too. Maybe it would be best to allow the rabbit to have a full life. It sounds like you want whats best for him, and you have been given great ideas on how to help him in a respectful way. Taking him into the house would be like if a huge scary thing kidnapped you and forced you to stay in some unimaginable dreamland. Can you imagine what that would feel like?

I think its really great you want to help, just make sure that your actions would actually be helpful to him. It sounds like your plan to allow him to be outside is great. :)

3. May 25, 2010 #23

Daenerys

Daenerys

Daenerys

Luluznewz wrote:
    I just want to second everything said in this post.

You can't protect someone from all dangers in this world, so you just have to consider whats best for them. For Rupert, that would be letting him live as he was meant to, which is without confinement, free to do as he wants.

You also have to remember that rabbits have adapted to deal with predators, they have ways to avoid getting caught and eaten. They have their long, powerful back legs to run fast, their eyes on the sides of their head to give them a wider range of vision, their long ears for better hearing, etc. He is not a helpless creature, he can take care of himself.

4. May 26, 2010 #24

DeniseJP

DeniseJP

DeniseJP

RandomWiktor wrote:
    Well said... my thoughts exactly having wild cottontails on my farm... some make it and some do not... as sad as it seems to us, it is part of the circle of life.

Denise

5. May 26, 2010 #25

Bo B Bunny

Bo B Bunny

Bo B Bunny

earthling wrote:
    Actually, cottontails don't usually live more than a year and that's the lucky ones... and I'm sorry but you may have a "connection" with Rupert but you have no where near the connection I had with my Clover... I bottle fed, watered, rubbed her tummy to help her poop, she was like a newborn infant in my home when I got her. Still I would have been thrilled had she been healthy enough to release with a chance.... as it were, I would have been tossing her out to be coyote dinner.

In addition, I have talked to you in private and told you how absolutely dangerous it would be for Rupert to be caged...... injury due to fear, heart attack, and one other thing I haven't mentioned is that they carry a disease that can be transmitted to humans in certain conditions. When Clover was put down - I warned the doctor to be careful... we didn't handle her when she was having nose bleeds without gloves on.

I understand your fondness - we have several who live in our yard - but you will only be doing more harm to Rupert .... allow him to be the wild bunny that he is and enjoy him from afar.

I love bats..... but you don't see me trying to catch them to keep them.

6. May 26, 2010 #26

Daenerys

Daenerys

Daenerys

Bo B Bunny wrote:
    Aww...that made me tear up :'(

7. May 26, 2010 #27

Bo B Bunny

Bo B Bunny

Bo B Bunny

We loved Clover for who she was and who she was meant to be. Wild animals stay wild.. even wild mustangs keep that sense of free-spirit when they are brought into captivity.

8. May 26, 2010 #28

Daenerys

Daenerys

Daenerys

Yep, just watch Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron XD

9. May 26, 2010 #29

Bo B Bunny

Bo B Bunny

Bo B Bunny

We have several friends with mustangs. They are awesome horses with extremely cool personalities but not just anyone can ride the younger ones... great horses for gaming... very fast and eager!

10. May 27, 2010 #30

Daenerys

Daenerys

Daenerys

You know what I did after posting that? I just had to go watch that movie for the 20th time...heheh :p

11. Jan 21, 2020 #31

Willow

Willow

Willow

My female rabbit, Eve, has escaped twice before and returned the next day and then has had wild babies and i've found that no matter how much you try to tame them they will always be skitsy and wont trust you.

These are my babies
    20171211_191312.jpg You can see black mum in background

Unfortunately I had to sell them though

Willow

12. Jan 21, 2020 #32

Orrin

Orrin

Orrin

We rescued a near-death cottontail that had been injured by a cat. We nursed it back to health and when it was mature we released it back to the wild. Angelo (Bun-Bun for short) knew its name and would come to me for treats when I called him. I loved him to death; and, because I loved him I let him go back to his wild home.

It tore me up, inside; but, I did the right thing. We adopted the two rescues pictured in our avatar because they were the same color as Bun-Bun. Nothing else would do. The rescues have filled our lives with joy; but, I still cannot bear to look at my pictures of Bun-Bun because I miss him so.

But, we did the right thing. Wild animals belong in the wild. Find a domestic rabbit pair and you'll grow to love them.

Blue eyes and Theo like this.
  13. Jan 23, 2020 #33

jsjjane

jsjjane

jsjjane

Your new buns are adorable and I really get the heartbreak of letting Bun-Bun go. Your love is huge.

Draft saved Draft deleted