Is it Possible for ONE to NEVER like another RABBIT?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scissors

Reaction score
I have been trying for months to make Pancake accept Patootie..She is fixed and under supervision on Neutral Territory..I am constantly trying for the two to bond, Well..Pancake Constanly NIPS poor Patootie. Pancake just LOVES me..Do think this is WHY Pancake hates her roomate? Is it because she only wants ME for her companion? HELP? Nancee (scissors)

I am convinced there are rabbit out there that will never get along with another rabbit. We have 2, Peace and Popcorn, that literally won't give rabbits a chance, they will just attack and fur will fly. I really think rabbits are like people in the way that not all of them want to be social.

Have you tried taking them on a car ride? I know that really works for some people...

I have always let my buns date and pick out their new mate. When Cinderella died Houdini went into a deep depression. I took him on dates. The first contender was named Pepper. He nipped at her. Then we tried Sophie, Pepper's sister. They looked identical other than color, but Houdini could tell a difference. As soon as Sophie came into the room he started grooming himself, which he had not done since Cinderella's passing. He inched forward and sat smushed up against Sophie for several minutes before they started to sniff around the room together. They have been together ever since.

Bonding would have been much more difficult, if not impossible, if I had just brought Pepper home never knowing his preference for Sophie. There must have been some sort of subtle bun communication difference.

These two might just rub eachother the wrong way and never get along. If they are hurting each other then you might want to give up. If it is light nipping then try stressful situations (like a car ride or in a basket on a running clothes dryer).

I am alittle afraid for the car ride..If i get the courage,,i might..i sure would hate for someone to get REALLY hurt!..Thanks for your post. Nancee

Are they both neutered/Spayed?

If not, I would get that done ASAP - decreases the territoriality issues.

Otherwise, some people def. do the car ride trauma... I would enlist someone to sit in the back during the ride, just in case all hell breaks loose.

I have heard of some people smearing mushed bananas on bunny foreheads, to induce grooming.

My one male hasn't made it work with either a male nor female (who wound up together)... guess he just hasn't clicked with the right bunny yet.

Thanks all for your posts and more the better..Only Pancake is spayed and is 4 months and is a bossy cow....Little Pattootie is 2 1/2 months and is tiny and very submissive..Will be getting her fixed by 4 months also..More input please..

They are NOT HAPPY HERE...

Thanks Nancee, Pancake, and Patootie,
16864_240129_010000000.jpg

I don't know if others will agree or not (any bonding I've done has been with fixed buns), but if it's not working now with Pattootie not being spayed, then I would simply keep them separate for now. I think you risk doing further damage to the potential bond by putting them together. I think you should wait until after she's spayed and healed. Then try bonding after that. BUT, that is just my opinion. Those who have bonded fixed with not-fixed may override my opinion

On a slightly different note, I went through a rescue to find a mate for one of my gals once. The first attempt we tried and tried. This one from the rescue simply would not bond with my bun. They allowed me to switch him out for another. The second one was sooo laid back and the two took to each other pretty quick (though my girl had been traumatized by the first one). Lesson learned: sometimes 2 particular bunnies simply won't get along.

Latest posts

Back