Is it old age or should I be concerned?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerigirl

Reaction score
Melody is my 7 year old mini lop/rex mix whom I call my old man all the time but now I starting to worry about him. Over the last week and a half I have noticed that his poop has changed and he seems to be just laying around more than usual. Ceri passed 3 years ago and I dont remember her poop changing at all but I thought I'd check. Melody's poop has gotten really little like it was when he was a kit and it seems really dry. Last week he started going through a bowl of water a day instead of every other day. He ius still eating pellets just fine and has backed off his hay consumption though he is still eating it. Should I be concerned about his poops changing? I thought I'd see what you guys thought before I take Mel to the vet. I really dont have a lot of money right now and would hate to take him in just for the vet to tell me he is fine.

What I would be the most concerned about is the doubling of water consumed. That could be a sign of kidney problems. I'd see a vet. Some physical changes get more likely with age, but old age itself isn't a medical condition.

There's a strong possibility he's in the beginning stages of GI stasis. The little poops are an indication that there is a digestive problem. If he gets stasis, where he stops pooping and eating, it can be quite serious. It can be caused by several different things, but most common is a stressful event happening or the rabbit's diet(either a change in diet or too many carbs in the diet). If he hasn't had something stressful happen or had something new introduced into his diet, then it's most likely too many carbs. I would stop giving all treats, sugars, fruits, grains, starches(like carrots), and carbs. You'll need to decrease pellets a lot or even stop them all together would be better, and feed lots and lots of hay. Always have hay available for him to eat, and water. If you feed him green leafy veggies, those are ok too. Sometimes parasites or bacteria can cause the digestive problems, so if his condition doesn't improve or worsens, if his eating or pooping decreases by a lot or stops, get him to the vet right away. An underlying medical problem is also a possibility, so if you aren't sure, best to get him to the vet.

The only things we associate with age are the decrease in activity--Ted would sleep more than 20 hours a day and a general slow down with everything else. Heard that it might be a good thing to change an elder bun back to alfalfa. Do keep an eye out for any other signs of a problem other than the geriatric ones.

Thank you. I have been keeping an eye on him and will definitely decrease his pellets and up his hay and see how he does. The extra water consumption could be from one of our cats. She sometimes decides to drink from his bowl rather than her own but I don't think that's the case.

JBun wrote:
There's a strong possibility he's in the beginning stages of GI stasis. The little poops are an indication that there is a digestive problem. If he gets stasis, where he stops pooping and eating, it can be quite serious. It can be caused by several different things, but most common is a stressful event happening or the rabbit's diet(either a change in diet or too many carbs in the diet). If he hasn't had something stressful happen or had something new introduced into his diet, then it's most likely too many carbs. I would stop giving all treats, sugars, fruits, grains, starches(like carrots), and carbs. You'll need to decrease pellets a lot or even stop them all together would be better, and feed lots and lots of hay. Always have hay available for him to eat, and water. If you feed him green leafy veggies, those are ok too. Sometimes parasites or bacteria can cause the digestive problems, so if his condition doesn't improve or worsens, if his eating or pooping decreases by a lot or stops, get him to the vet right away. An underlying medical problem is also a possibility, so if you aren't sure, best to get him to the vet.
:yeahthat: and you might also try giving a probiotic

pretty much any will work, I think... probios and benebac are two of the main brands.

this is the stuff I got for my emergency kit (and to give a dose to my bunnies before and after their spays, as I'd read it was good to give when they have to have surgery) - http://www.leithpetwerks.com/prodpage.cfm?prod_code=MS510

it's a paste-like consistency and you just squeeze a little bit out of the tube (the plunger is marked so you know how much a dose is). my bunnies lapped it right up.

there are also kinds that are powders, but I've never tried/used those kinds.

Back