Is it normal for a baby bunny to produce many cecotropes in the morning

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butterz

Reaction score
Like I guess I really havent noticed. Its my first time with a baby bunny and pretty much everything he does freaks me out because I want him to be okay. He is a baby and so I'm trying to figure out how many pellets to feed him but some sources say to give him very little and others to give him endless supply because he is so young. And then if I give him too much pellet, that could contribute to him producing too many cecotropes. I'm just unsure as to what to do

It is difficult to answer your question since typically a bun eats the cecotropes so I could not accurately estimate how many they produce in the morning. I do know that them being young they will at times not eat some of them. It seems as if their being young they might just get distracted by something and not eat them so it can be normal to find some at times.

I assume you are finding uneaten cecotropes? If you are then how many and how often? How old is your bun?

I know if older buns do not regularly eat theirs then it can point to them either having a medical issue or possibly getting too much in their diet.

All of the research I have done suggests free feeding pellets for a baby bun since they are growing and need the extra nutrition due to that. With older buns you want to limit pellets so they do not become overweight plus it can cause medical issues as well. I know I kept my male on unlimited pellets until about seven months because he is a flemmish giant and they have a longer period of growth than smaller buns and I felt comfortable with this as he was showing no signs of the extra pellets being a problem.

If your bun is a smaller sized rabbit then you would want to cut back to a limited amount of pellets sooner.

Back