Is it cruel?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truvy

Reaction score
Is it cruel to only have one bunny? I have 4 cats and I added the bunny to my household. My significant other has put their foot down. NO MORE AFTER THIS! (sigh). Truvy seems to enjoy hopping around the cats, they chase her around and when they stop, she runs up to them, almost taunting them to keep chasing her. Will the cats, along with myself, be enough companionship for her? Obviously nothing could take the place of another bunny i guess.. but it's just not something I can do.

I learned the hard way that some rabbits really are happier with their people and cats.

I got Becky last December. She quickly bonded with our two cats. Then I got to reading how social rabbits are and that they NEED another rabbit to play with. That a cat just wouldn't cut it.

In February I took her to a shelter and had play dates. For some reason she picked out Cindi, even thought several males were offered. The bonding was rough. Becky is now missing a little chunk of her nose and Cindi was severely scratched. Eventually they were peaceful enough, but I never saw grooming. They basically co-existed.

Add in more reading. Now what if one bunnie dies, leaving the other to mourn? Oh, no, I treo is the best idea. Went back to the shelter for both of them to date. Houdini comes home. He quickly bonds with Cindi who desperately wants to cuddle because she is afraid of everyting and Becky is just too independant.

Cindi starts to gain confidence and starts to steal Becky's food. Becky gets skinnier and Cindi stops loosing weight (she came a bit on the chubby side). So after all of this, I ended up seperating Cindi and Becky. Cindi lives in my office with Houdini, they are very happy. Becky got a realistic looking stuffed bunny. She loves bossing her stuffy around and no one steals her food. Every one is much happier now. Even the cats are happier because Becky is back to her old self and chasing them through the house.

I love all my rabbits, but now I am responsible for two more souls because I wanted Becky to have a friend because that is what everything I read said she wanted. She didn't.

Long story to say, if you think your rabbit is content and you are able to play with her daily, I would not worry that she is pining away for rabbit companionship.

I don't think it is cruel, so long as you have enough time for them. I know people who have solo buns and they seem perfectly happy.

There are, of course, differing opinions on this issue with every animal.

[align=center]I'm gunna share my experience with bonding bunnies... My experiences with it ranges from the greatest possible situation and one of the worst possible situation. I support both bonded bunnies and single bunnies, and it happens that both have occurred here... I'm not trying to discourage you, I promise. I'm just sharing my experiences. Most experiences don't turn out how mine did. XP

I started out with one rabbit- Solara, a female. Then I adopted Sabriel, a male. I bonded them easily- they were very open to having a relationship. I didn't do any "bunny dates" at a shelter (they thankfully happened to love each other right away after a couple neutral dates)... but Solara became VERY antisocial and even now she won't come to me.

Then I adopted a third rabbit I fell in love with- now Silas. I let him play with the two in his space because he's very docile and didn't care. But I wanted to get a bond mate for him.

I shouldn't have, Silas was perfectly happy just playing with Solara and Sabriel occasionally. I adopted her- Soleil, and she was great. She seemed friendly enough, she was so sweet, loving, and SMART!

Well, she forced her way out of her pen, attacked my bonded pair, and Sabriel got so scared that he broke his leg while running away and Solara gave Soleil a scratch on the nose. I woke up to the pen shaking, her and Solara fighting through it, and Sabriel hunched in his cage with his leg bent the wrong way (he got it caught when he ran).

We had to take Soleil back that day after taking Sabriel to the emergency vet because she was so intent on getting at my other buns and it wasn't fair to anybun...

With Sabriel now having to be separated from Solara because he was in a cast... we also lacked space because Sabriel had to take over Soleil's cage.

It also wasn't fair for Soleil to be locked up because of my fear that another attack would happen. It wouldn't be fair if any of my rabbits got hurt from this again. So I did what was best (even though I got a lot of criticism for it.

But I DID try and re-bond Solara and Sabriel after his leg healed, but they just want to hump and bite now. =/

So I currently have three happy, single bunnies.

I think it all happened for a reason. Because now I can try and re-bond with Solara, and I have re-bonded with Sabriel (he became slightly antisocial after bonding with Solara as well)and he's sooo sweet. =)

Bonding CAN be worth it, but it's a risk... I would just keep her single for now, because your bun has you and the cats as her bond mates =)

I would rather have one rabbit, then having a bonded pair. I see how territorial my does are, even being in a cage beside another basically their whole life, alot still try to fight through the cages exc..

As long as you give your rabbit, or most any other animal a lot of attention, it doesn't need an animal companion.

Speaking from mostly dog experience sometimes they really couldnt care if they had a "friend" or not. I know when I had Bianica who was the best dog ever being a golden retriever I assumed she like most goldens would like to have another dog around my dad agreed and even pushed me to get another dog and while I was looking at a dog at a shelter a county away this lady was preparing to drop another golden off and I couldnt have that happen so I took her my dad was fine with it til he found out she was fixed and then he insisted for 2 years I get rid of BOTH my dogs (long story short I ended up having to and haven't been the same since nor have I talked to my dad) but it wasn't until the last 3 months I had my dogs that Bianica paid any attention to Abby it was seriously like Bianica didn't know Abby was there.

I know none of our rabbits are able to bond, doe or buck. They all literally attack other rabbits whenever they get too close so really, we just never try. They are all perfectly happy to be single bunnies and seem happy getting their attention from people.

I notice people who try to bond usually get themselves into more trouble then necessary, but it's like that by having any 2 animals together. There's just more possibility for injury, which is another reason we don't do it.

I think bonding can work with the right rabbits, but I am also a firm believer that rabbits do not need the companionship of another bun.

Some rabbits prefer to be alone while others enjoy the company of other rabbits. My Korr does prefer to have a friend and he has had one for the better part of the last 4.5 years. While he gets along ok without a friend, he perks up when he does have one and just seems happier. He is an easy going rabbit and would probably get along with just about any rabbit as long as that rabbit didn't try to attack him. He is on his 3rd girl friend as the other 2 have passed away and he has had no issues bonding again.

Not all rabbits get along and you do need to be careful with introductions. Rabbits who don't get along or who aren't introduced properly can fight which can lead to serious injury or even death. Personality is a huge and very important part of it. 2 rabbits might get along with each other, but could hate another rabbit to the point where they fight.

Many rabbits do fine as singles if they get enough attention from you. If you can try to get another in the future, you can look into bonding and see if your rabbit will get along with another one.

I have one little bundle of joy, and hes pretty happy by himself because I take him out a lot and give him a bit of attention. If I couldn't take him out as much I would consider another bunny. I might still even get another bunny, but for now hes pretty happy. Pretty sure he's just used to it because his play time is pretty structured.

I am also the owner of a single rabbit. But he has free roam around our place, and plenty of love from us throughout the day. He can be aggressive in the punchie way, and we were aware when we got him he wasn't he friendlies with other bunnies. That makes me a little sad that I really shouldn't get him a friend, but I know he's happy with just us.

okay i feel much better! she will be getting PLENTY of love and attention from me, so that wont be an issue. and she is quickly adjusting to freedom outside of a cage! she loves to hop in her cage and back out over and over. I guess she likes the idea of having a choice :) It's so interesting to hear people tell their stories of how their different types of pets get along. strange that some prefer companionship of another animal over their own kind. oh well :)

I am a one bunny owner and I haven't had any problems. My parents won't let me get another bunny or else I would have two double quick. I try to get Coffee to meet other rabbits when I get the chance I found out one of my neighbors has rabbits so over the summer I hope to man up and introduce myself. Coffee along with my past rabbits have been perfect with these bunny play dates.

I try to give her as much time as I can to run around and pay attention to her. She seems to handle cage time well but she gives me that look.

Latest posts

Back