is it cruel to have 1 rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobbie

Reaction score
:( I have been reading on websites that it is cruel to only have 1 rabbit.
When my rabbit has been neutured I will then give him a friend, untill then I now feel guilty.

What does anyone else think:D

Why would you feel quilty ?

One rabbit only meansthe Rabbit does not have to share yourundivided attention . 2 rabbitsmeans half the attention .

The decision is yoursto say the least but there is noreal reason toabsolutly have 2 rabbits .

Give him lots of love and cuddles and I'm surehe's just fine...I think a rabbit alone prolly needs more time withyou....you can most likely tell if he's happy or not!

Is your rabbit inside? If you canspend a lot of time with him, he should be fine. They aresocial animals and do appreciate having a friend, but sometimes theywon't bond and that presents another problem. It's good thatyou're waiting until he's neutered. Spayed/neutered animalstend to be less territorial and are usually easier to bond.

[url]http://www.mybunnies.com/bonding.htm[/url]

This is a really good topic to read. There's a lot of useful information there.

Laura

nobbie wrote:
When my rabbit has been neutured I will then give him a friend, untill then I now feel guilty.

Really? Because I was just surfing in the HRS website againand they say that while rabbits are social, single rabbits are justfine. They need a lot of attention and love, but all animalsdo anyway. Getting a second rabbit is your choice.

If you still want a second rabbit, read up on bonding.Sometimes two rabbits will get along really well from the start,sometimes they take a really long time and need your help.Learning about bonding will also help you decide if you want a secondbunny- do you have the time to bond two ill-tempered rabbits?Or would you rather spend that time playing with only one rabbit?

nobbie wrote:

There are a lot of folks on this board (I think) who have one rabbit...and they do just fine.

Just know that if you only have one rabbit - it needs more of YOUR time since it doesn't have someone else to interact with.

But hey - if you love your rabbit - keep it and play with it and it will probably be a VERY happy bunny.

Peg

We have 1 bunny, she lives inside with us and she is as happy as larry.

She gets our full attention and she is in her hutch in the loungeroomso she can see and hear us, I think a bun is fine bythemselves. As it's been said here 1 rabbit gets all theattention and you'll probably have to spend a little more time playingwith them etc, but hey that's not a drama.

If you are new to the rabbit world I think 1 rabbit is enough to cope with at a time.

Goodluck and most of all have fun with your bunny:D:D:D

JMHO, If you are a first time bunny owner, one is enough to worry about.

Keep in mind that there is no guarentee that your bun will bond withanother one, no matter how hard you try. If you have onebunny and you're happy with him, that's all you need.

*JMHO: "Just My Humble Opinion"

I have two and they get along ..but Freddy wantsnothing to do with Vicky...so I end up feeling bad for Vicky cuz she'slike dyinggg for his attention and he just gives her the butt most ofthe time. I was fine with just one rabbit and I think Freddywas okay with it too ..he's a big love bun anything he thinks has apossibility of coming between him and i he has a propensity to pee onlol...i.e. my boyfriend especially...and as of late peed on Vicky.

I would wait to add a second bun. take your time to get really comfywith the one you have now. be edcated about what to do in times ofsickness and emergency. and if you wait to get to know your bunspersonality better ..it will help if you decide to later on add anotherbun to your home. there is certainly no shortage of buns to adopt andwhen you are ready there will be plenty for your choosing :)

"They" say you must have more than one guinea pig, too......

Ourone guinea pig, one hamster andone rabbit are inour livingroom. There's almost always someone interacting with themsomehow.

They're quite healthy and seem very content. I don't think they reallyneed friends of their own kind...as long as they havefriends:)

I think it all just depends on you. Onhow much time you have to devote to your bunny and buns and how contentthey are. I have 4 and as they may not be inside rabbits, Ispend or at least try to spend equal amount of time with them with theexception of this little bundle of joy

BABE08.jpg

As I cant help myself but pick him/her up and just give kisses after kisses.

i don't think that it's cruel to have only onerabbit, your bun might not even want to share you. i got a second bunand it didn't go very well. Lots of jealousy, and i still can't bondthem.

But if you have a rescue or animal shelter near you, you could give oneof those poor buns a good forever home, and give your bun afriend.

Good luck,

Nicole

I'm really new to buns and was wondering thesame thing. I got my first guinea pig 6 months ago and he wasvery scared and inactive until he got his friend, so in that case itmade a huge difference. However, I hate the pressure of"having" to get a second. Considering the state of the world,its wonderful if you have an animal and take care of it well.Many people give up their animals for no good reason. I havea single bun that someone gave up simply because they were bored withher. I cant afford a second, but I refuse to feel too guiltyabout it. She's safe and healthy and gets as much love as Ican give her. If all you can do is save one animal, you stilldeserve a pat on the back.

My rabbit, Tucker, was very happy and content tobe the only bun in the house. When I rescued my other two,his personality changed quite a bit. Whereas he used to comeup to me for kisses and cuddles, that ceased. I used to havehim trained to jump into his cage when it was bedtime, that'snowa thing of the past as well.

In hindsight, Ithought I was doing him a favor, butunfortunately, I don't think he's ever quite forgiven me. Iknow he was happier when it was just him, but he's since adjusted tothe others. He still has quite an attitude, but once in awhile he lets me know he still loves me.

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
Myrabbit, Tucker, was very happy and content to be the only bun in thehouse.
I believe Pebbles is very happy to be the only bunnyhere. She is never alone, as there is someone home all thetime. When we let her out she will run andbinky, and explore. When she is by herself, shewill flop and lay there. She is always kissing us and willsit for long periods of time when we cuddle her.And she will just sit or lay there when we pet her.

Rainbows! :)

Latest posts

Back