Is he supposed to eat paper?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neri18

Reaction score
When I give Pip a cardboard box or toilet role, he tends to eat it. I've given him shredded paper to play in but he tends to think the paper is like hay and tries to gobble it up. It doesn't seem to have any negative effect on him and I don't want to take away all his toys and stuff, but I can't see how shredding and eating cardboard is healthy. Does anyone else's bunnies do that? He still eats plenty of hay and pellets, but he seems to think paper is a tasty treat too.

must be the fresh N H air

my cocoa loves T.P.rolls & will finish one off with in minutes

I got one of thoes bunny treats sticks from hartz & put it in side a P.T. roll to make him work for his yummy treat

I posted a video on you tube

Kathy

Not sure whether its ok or not, but my bunny eats cardboard too. Ive recently bought him some seagrass mats and he seems to prefer them than the cardboard.

Well I feel better knowing he's not the only one who seems to have a taste for paper. I gave him a hay mat and he gobbled that up, but he still enjoys the occasional string of shredded paper, or wadded up napkin from lunch.

It's perfectly fine for them to eat plain brown cardboard and regular newspaper and phonebook pages with black printing (the ink is soy-based and safe).

But it's not a good idea for them to eat white paper since it's bleached, colored papers or inks (I think), or the ad pages out of the newspaper that have the shiny coating on them...or cardboards that are colored/coated like cereal boxes, etc.

Latest posts

Back