Is he going to get used to getting handled?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bright Eyes

Reaction score
Hello all :)

I was just wondering if Panda is going to get used to being picked up? I understand rabbits don't like their back feet off the ground, but I am trying to teach Panda that he has no choice!

I am able to scoop him up and hold him for about ten seconds before he starts going crazy and kicking. He is really strong and always manages to get away.

He is not scared at all, in fact, he usually sprawls out at my feet right after escaping my grasp, either that or he begs for head rubs.

He is about 5 months old and is a feisty guy. I wish I had started handling him earlier, (ahem, when he was not as STRONG) but he is my first bun, and when he was a baby, I was worried he was too delicate to be restrained. (I read somewhere buns can break their backs...)

Will he calm down a bit as he gets older? Any tips or tricks? And He's not really going to break his back is he?

Thanks!

Bright Eyes wrote:
Hello all :)

I was just wondering if Panda is going to get used to being picked up? I understand rabbits don't like their back feet off the ground, but I am trying to teach Panda that he has no choice!

I am able to scoop him up and hold him for about ten seconds before he starts going crazy and kicking. He is really strong and always manages to get away.

He is not scared at all, in fact, he usually sprawls out at my feet right after escaping my grasp, either that or he begs for head rubs.

He is about 5 months old and is a feisty guy. I wish I had started handling him earlier, (ahem, when he was not as STRONG) but he is my first bun, and when he was a baby, I was worried he was too delicate to be restrained. (I read somewhere buns can break their backs...)

Will he calm down a bit as he gets older? Any tips or tricks? And He's not really going to break his back is he?

Thanks!
Practice, Practice, Practice, and then some more practice. Some bunnies enjoy being picked up and some don't. I have both types. Dobby TOLERATES it now after so many practices. He used to the same as your Panda. In that 10 seconds before he freaks, pick him up and hold him to your chest. I would seriously wear long sleeves and gloves during these practices. Those nails hurt. So it's OK to protect yourself. There's also the scoop method where you scoop your bunny and support his hind paws.

It takes time and as you practice and your bunny matures (Panda is in the Teenage Months now) and more you and your bunny comfortable with each other, it will fall into place. They do sense your fear. And will take advantage of it. Especially a teenage bunny. You can do it.

K:)

I also have both types. Muppet can be scooped up and held/snuggled. Fraggles can NOT be held at all. We have had Frags from a 4 1/2 week old kit. We held her constaintly and she even spend hours in my husbands pocket.....However now at fully grown she can't be held and YES they are that fragile and they can break there spines very easy.

I do not have any rabbits that like to be picked up right now but they will all tolerate it. I have one who stomps before and after being held. One who give angry ears. One who will outright just refuse treats from me but take them from someone not holding her. Lots of rabbitude. I agree that practice is the best to get them use to it so you can gets your hands on them for nail trims and mini exams to make sure they are healthy. I do try and work with them the way they are comfortable so they don't hurt themselves. My flemish will actually only climb up into my lap if I am eating a salad. Otherwise there is no holding the rabbit if you want rabbit time, you do have to followher rules as best as possible according to her.

We just got Derby on the weekend. He is a 12 week old french lop that weighs a very hefty 5 plus pounds. He has not been handled much, so am in the same spot as you. I have been picking him up and snuggling him tight against my chest in the reclined baby position and holding his back feet. He will stay there for about 30 seconds, especially is you rock him. I then put him down, give him a pet and tell him what a good boy he is. It takes time, just be patient. Watch those feet, don't let them kick out.

Latest posts

Back