Is Haley possibly a Holland Lop x Chinchilla?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBoyHarper

Reaction score
When I first got Haley a couple weeks ago, she had this brownish beige hair on her:

haleypic8.jpg

haley4small.jpg

However, a couple weeks later, her hair color is dramatically changing. Her entire back now almost looks like a Chinchilla, and she has the exact hair coloring of a Chinchilla. Here's today's pictures:

haley-color2.jpg

haley-color1.jpg

Is it possible that SHE is mixed with a Chinchilla? Or is it maybe from genes further down the line that showed up on her?

Don't confuse the breed shinchilla with the colour chinchilla :)

Colour:
Chinchilla (Silver Agouti) Body color will appear a sparkling blend of black and grey. Hair shaft to have alternating bands of slate with any shade of gray and tipped with black. Ears laced with black; nostrils, nape of neck, eye circles and inside of ears to be silver to white. The belly and underside of chin and tail to be pale silver or white with or without a darker under color. Chest will have a mixture of body color and belly color which merges into the main body color in front of the shoulders. EYES: Brown or blue grey.

Hollands can also be chinchilla colored, so I doubt she is mixed with Chinchilla.

But she looks like an opal to me.

I don't think she is blue enough to be an opal, and those bits of fawn on her head are odd. But I also don't think she looks prefectly chinchilla either! She is really cute though :D. Eyes should be blue-grey for opal.

Here is a list of agouti colours, maybe you'll be able to look through and take a guess?

Agouti Agouti (Chestnut, Copper, Castor, ...) Body color will appear a blend of black and tan. Hair shaft to have alternating bands of slate with any shade of tan and tipped with black. Ears laced with black; nostrils, nape of neck, eye circles and inside of ears to be tan to creamy white. The belly and underside of chin and tail to be pale cream or white with or without a darker under color. Chest will have a mixture of body color and cream which merges into the main body color in front of the shoulders. EYES: Brown.
Genetically: A- B- C- D- E-
Opal (Blue Agouti) Body color will appear a blend of blue and tan. Hair shaft to have alternating bands of slate with any shade of tan and tipped with blue. Ears laced with blue; nostrils, nape of neck, eye circles and inside of ears to be tan to creamy white. The belly and underside of chin and tail to be pale cream or white with or without a darker under color. Chest will have a mixture of body color and cream which merges into the main body color in front of the shoulders. EYES: Blue grey.
Genetically: A- B- C- dd E-
Chocolate Agouti Body color will appear a blend of chocolate and tan. Hair shaft to have alternating bands of slate with any shade of tan and tipped with chocolate. Ears laced with chocolate; nostrils, nape of neck, eye circles and inside of ears to be tan to creamy white. The belly and underside of chin and tail to be pale cream or white with or without a darker under color. Chest will have a mixture of body color and cream which merges into the main body color in front of the shoulders. EYES: Brown.
Genetically: A- bb C- D- E-
Lynx (Lilac Agouti) Body color will appear a blend of lilac and tan. Hair shaft to have alternating bands of slate with any shade of tan and tipped with lilac. Ears laced with lilac; nostrils, nape of neck, eye circles and inside of ears to be tan to creamy white. The belly and underside of chin and tail to be pale cream or white with or without a darker under color. Chest will have a mixture of body color and cream which merges into the main body color in front of the shoulders. EYES: Blue grey.
Genetically: A- bb C- dd E-
Chinchilla (Silver Agouti) Body color will appear a sparkling blend of black and grey. Hair shaft to have alternating bands of slate with any shade of gray and tipped with black. Ears laced with black; nostrils, nape of neck, eye circles and inside of ears to be silver to white. The belly and underside of chin and tail to be pale silver or white with or without a darker under color. Chest will have a mixture of body color and belly color which merges into the main body color in front of the shoulders. EYES: Brown or blue grey.
Genetically: A- B- c[sup]chd[/sup]-D- E-
Squirrel (Blue Silver Agouti) Body color will appear a sparkling blend of blue and grey. Hair shaft to have alternating bands of slate with any shade of gray and tipped with blue. Ears laced with blue; nostrils, nape of neck, eye circles and inside of ears to be silver to white. The belly and underside of chin and tail to be pale silver or white with or without a darker under color. Chest will have a mixture of body color and belly color which merges into the main body color in front of the shoulders. EYES: Blue grey.
Genetically: A- B- c[sup]chd[/sup]- dd E-
Chocolate Chinchilla (Chocolate Silver Agouti) Body color will appear a sparkling blend of chocolate and dove. Hair shaft to have alternating bands of dove with any shade of gray and tipped with chocolate. Ears laced with chocolate; nostrils, nape of neck, eye circles and inside of ears to be dove to white. The belly and underside of chin and tail to be pale silver or white with or without a darker under color. Chest will have a mixture of body color and belly color which merges into the main body color in front of the shoulders. EYES: Brown or blue grey.
Genetically: A- bb c[sup]chd[/sup]- D- E-
Lilac Squirrel (Lilac Silver Agouti) Body color will appear a sparkling blend of lilac and dove. Hair shaft to have alternating bands of dove with any shade of gray and tipped with lilac. Ears laced with lilac; nostrils, nape of neck, eye circles and inside of ears to be dove to white. The belly and underside of chin and tail to be pale silver or white with or without a darker under color. Chest will have a mixture of body color and belly color which merges into the main body color in front of the shoulders. EYES: Blue grey.*
Genetically: A- bb c[sup]chd[/sup]- dd E-
Seal Agouti Surface color to be dark sable over a white to pearl intermediate band with undercolor matching surface color as closely as possible. Ears laced with dark sable; nostrils, nape of neck, eye circles and inside of ears to be silver to white. The belly and underside of chin and tail to be pale silver or white with or without a darker under color. Chest will have a mixture of body color and silver which merges into the main body color in front of the shoulders. EYES: Brown.
Genetically: A- -- c[sup]chl[/sup]c[sup]chl[/sup] D- E-
Blue Seal Agouti Surface color to be dark smoke pearl over a white to pearl intermediate band with under color matching surface color as closely as possible. Ears laced with smoke pearl; nostrils, nape of neck, eye circles and inside of ears to be silver to white. The belly and underside of chin and tail to be pale silver or white with or without a darker under color. Chest will have a mixture of body color and silver which merges into the main body color in front of the shoulders. EYES: Blue grey.
Genetically: A- -- c[sup]chl[/sup]c[sup]chl[/sup] dd E-
Sable Agouti Surface color to be sable over a white to pearl intermediate band with under color matching surface color as closely as possible. Ears laced with sable; nostrils, nape of neck, eye circles and inside of ears to be silver to white. The belly and underside of chin and tail to be pale silver or white with or without a darker under color. Chest will have a mixture of body color and silver which merges into the main body color in front of the shoulders. EYES: Brown.
Genetically: A- -- c[sup]chl[/sup]- D- E-
Smoke Pearl Agouti Surface color to be smoke pearl over a white to pearl intermediate band with under color matching surface color as closely as possible. Ears laced with smoke pearl; nostrils, nape of neck, eye circles and inside of ears to be silver to white. The belly and underside of chin and tail to be pale silver or white with or without a darker under color. Chest will have a mixture of body color and silver which merges into the main body color in front of the shoulders. EYES: Blue grey.
Genetically: A- -- c[sup]chl[/sup]- dd E-

She had blue eyes that are now turning a morebrownish color, and the hair around her head in changing into the Chinchilla color as well. The hair around her head and neck was the same color as the rest of her body before it started changing. At this rate, I think the remaining hair on her head and neck will change into the chinchilla colored hair as well.

I'm thrilled with the chinchilla coloring either way. I have always LOVED the chinchilla coloring on rabbits, and I'm thrilled to death that she is getting that same coloring.

I was basing it a lot on the brownish colored area on the neck, that's why I say opal but I don't know colors very well and I sure don't breed so I could be wrong.

Then again, it's always possible that she's just a poor example of a certain color.

But with me, I tried for months to figure out what color Mocha was and only recently did I finally find out, LOL.

LOL! No biggie, I was just curious since her hair is so drastically changing. I guess we won't know for definite until her hair is completely done changing colors. I'm shocked at the dramatic difference between two weeks ago and today. The change in coloration is very noticeable.

I know what you mean, when I got Mocha, he was a coffee with milk color but when he shed, he turned into this dark chocolate chinchilla color, it was quite amazing to see!

I had a rabbit and when she was a babie she was white with one tiny red spot and then when she was an adult she was completly red except for her stomach.

Can you get a photo of what the coat looks like when you blow into it?(Also posta photo of the belly color as you are blowing into it).

Could be an Opal, Lynx or very dark Cream.

Pam

Pam, sorry for the delay. I couldn't find one set of batteries in this house that had a charge! Finally found a nearly dead set that would let me take one picture before shutting off. Took 20 minutes to take a few pictures, LOL. Anyways, here's the pics I took for you, if you need more of any other angles, I did take some more.

haleyhair1.jpg

haleyhair2.jpg

I think MyBabyBunnies wins the prize for correctly identifying the color! Haley appears to be an opal.

Pam

Latest posts

Back