Is Ernie a specific breed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ernie is so afraid that I am not yet able to get full body and head pics of him.

He weighs somewhere about 8 lbs. and the significant thing about his appearance is his width. He has wide erect very large ears, a wide face and body yet he is not at all over weight. I have never seen a rabbit that looked like this before.
If he was a dog he would look like an Akita.

Iwill post better pics as he adjusts as I know that you can't see too much in this one.

His fur feels like chinchilla, very very soft and beautiful.

100_0347.jpg

How old is he? do you know?

He's really cute! I bet pamnock can give you an idea of what he is or could be or some of the mix if he is one!

He looks like he'll be real sweet.

If he is a flemish mix it would help him a lot to get adopted..he is very shy which is a negative for adoption.

I'll try to get some pics of him tonight out of the cage.

Hard to say, but possibly a Satin, which has a very soft, fine coat. The color is steel - not an accepted show variety, but not an uncommon color in Satins.

My other guess would have been a steel New Zealand (also not showable, but not unusual in New Zealands) - but the coat of the New Zealand has wider guard hairsso is much coarser.

Our modern commercial breeds were derived from Flemish in the 1800's, so a resemblance is not surprising. The rabbit could also be a mix of commercial breeds.

Pam

WELL! that's exactly what I would have said!!!

:liesI like to pretend I'm that smart! LOL!

:bowpamnock is the RO resident bunny encyclopedia. :thanks:

I didn't mean to send a link which probably doesn't work anyway

Whatever he is he has come to life out of the pen...his head and ears almost seem to big for his body

He looks like a teddy bear. :D

Bert (the other male that came in with him) has a similar fur but is a lop ..I bet that they are brothers and he is part lop and part ofPam's description

Anyway anybody want him??? :D

Back