is cabbage ok?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosy

Reaction score
I've heard many conflicting opinions about feeding rabbits cabbage. what are the facts? is it ok to feed my bun cabbage?

No , it may cause gas. Their tummies are sensitive. Gas will lead to more serious troubles such as GI stasis :(

I give some cabbage my rabbits love it, I usually give one leaf of sweet york or savoy cabbage to Smokey and Bernie, and a half of that to my other rabbits. I don't give same vegetables every day so if it's once or twice a week I never had any troubles. If you'd give in large quantities maybe it cause gas indeed. If you are not sure you better don't or try to give a little and watch them or there are more vegetables than cabbages that they will love.

Rabbits *can* have cabbage... but some rabbits are much more prone to gas problems from it than others. Most of our rabbits eat cruciferous things like kale on a regular basis, but I had a rabbit once who had a couple gas-related bouts with GI stasis so I didn't let her have any and kept simethicone on hand.

While some cruciferous veggies (kale, bok choy, watercress, turnip greens, collard greens and arugula, among others) are on the safe-to-eat list of "leafy greens," all types of cabbage are actually considered to be "non-leafy-green" vegetables and should be limited to no more than 1 tbsp per 2 lbs body weight per day and only as long as it doesn't seem to cause any problems with gas.

In the event your rabbit does appear gassy (sitting in a way that looks tense/uncomfortable or hunched, reduced appetite and other early warning signs of GI stasis), the first remedy to try is simethicone (baby gas drops) - very safe and effective for gassy bunnies!

Latest posts

Back