Is Brody too skinny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He looks fine to me! of course we can't feel him but he doesn't have the look of a malnourished bun.

ALSO - you might have to feed them all in separate places. We have to do that with our sheep.

If Bo and Clover were together, he'd eat all of her pellets cause she's so dainty and would rather have hay.

MOOLAP :laughsmiley:

I'd slightly increase the pellets Brody is getting (we feed our Hollands 1/2 cup). Keep up with the oats and the couple treats that he's getting. I agree that 3/4 cup was probably too much for him. A little variety with dark leafy greens and veggies would also be good for him (as well as a moderate amount of hay each day). Remember not to go overboard on the hay - it's great for fiber, but he also needs the fats and nutrition provided by a balanced diet of pellets and greens/veggies. Filling up on hay decreases the nutrient ratio.

Hollands aren't know for deep muscle and some have a tendency to feel rough.

Slightly underweight is far more healthy for him than being overweight, so continue to monitor him, especially as he gets older and less active.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
I'd slightly increase the pellets Brody is getting (we feed our Hollands 1/2 cup). Keep up with the oats and the couple treats that he's getting. I agree that 3/4 cup was probably too much for him. A little variety with dark leafy greens and veggies would also be good for him (as well as a moderate amount of hay each day). Remember not to go overboard on the hay - it's great for fiber, but he also needs the fats and nutrition provided by a balanced diet of pellets and greens/veggies. Filling up on hay decreases the nutrient ratio.
Thank you for replying!

I thought the bunnies were getting 1/2 cup before, but then I looked at the measuring cup and it said 3/4 cups...thats when I switched to a lower amount. I felt pretty stupid, lol.

I can pick up veggies, if he should have it in his diet?

I thought hay should be fed free-choice? I give Brody a pile in the morning before work, then a pile before bed. He eats lots of hay, but he still eats ALL of his pellets and any treats or veggies I give him :p. I can take a picture of the "pile" of hay that I give him 2x a day. I'm not sure how much it is by looking at it.

Oh, p.s.....Bo....when they are all bonded, do I separate them for feeding time, then when they are finished eating...do I put them all back together? Marlin can take up to an hour or more to finish his pellets (he's a "snacker"....wouldn't that unbond them or cause issues?

Moot point, but all my rabbits will only eat hay when there's nothing else, I've never seen them get too full on their timothyandnot gobble up every bit oftheir veggies and salads. (I assume alfalfa or orchard morefilling than Timothy?)

They get a ton of hay -- in their litterboxes, hay boxes, the works --theyeat it when they'rebored. When anything else is around, the hay goes by the wayside.

Everybody here is agood weight, but they're all very active witha lotof space.

Oddly enough, the foster bunnies are the biggest hay eaters and they're the fattest, but they don't get a lot of exercise. They don't play much in their pen, although they get to hopupanddown on a fewshelves, and theyhardly ever leave their pen -- even when the door is open. Silly rabbits.

sas :bunnydance:

Amy, is it okay if I ask this question here since we're discussing Holland Lops and feeding them? Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread... I was just wondering really quickly how much pellets I should be feeding Tallulah. She is 15 weeks old. I've been feeding her timothy pellets instead of alfalfa because the vet said I should just start her on alfalfa. We're currently on the very long path to switching her from Kaytee Timothy Complete to Zupreem Nature's Promise timothy pellets, her digestive system is quite sensitive so I can only give her a couple more of the new pellets every day. She gets timothy hay (though soon I'll be ordering bluegrass and timothy), unlimited every day. Should I add in some alfalfa hay for good measure since she's getting timothy pellets?

Thank you and sorry again Amy if my intrusion is annoying!

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Amy, is it okay if I ask this question here since we're discussing Holland Lops and feeding them? Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread... I was just wondering really quickly how much pellets I should be feeding Tallulah. She is 15 weeks old. I've been feeding her timothy pellets instead of alfalfa because the vet said I should just start her on alfalfa. We're currently on the very long path to switching her from Kaytee Timothy Complete to Zupreem Nature's Promise timothy pellets, her digestive system is quite sensitive so I can only give her a couple more of the new pellets every day. She gets timothy hay (though soon I'll be ordering bluegrass and timothy), unlimited every day. Should I add in some alfalfa hay for good measure since she's getting timothy pellets?

Thank you and sorry again Amy if my intrusion is annoying!

I would check the package to see if the feed is formulated for a growing rabbit. A young rabbit has different nutritional needs than a mature rabbit.

Pam

undergunfire wrote:
I do not feed veggies because they always go to waste...Morgan won't eat them, Marlin eats a bit, Brody eats a ton....but I always find myself throwing half the veggies away, which is a waste of money. I wouldn't think feeding veggies would help with his weight, though?

Dole makes this small bag of romaine lettuce, my mom picked me up some today and I was like...wow, this won't last long. So maybe you could find that for Mr. Brody if he needs it. I think she may have got it at walmart. Not sure about other veggies though, hope that helped some.

Veggies and greens don't have to be brought separately for the rabbits, they can eat fresh greens that you have brought for yourself, including some of those mixed salads that Montana suggested. A little parsley is also good - and very cheap (thank goodness, because we have hundreds of walking sticks to feed!)

Greens provide additional moisture and nutrients in the diet as well as providing more variety that the rabbit would normally get in the wild.

Pam

I'll go to the store tomorrow or Thursday and pick up a head of red leaf lettuce, cilantro, parsley, and baby carrots or red bell peppers for Brody. I prefer to not buy those already made salad bags because they seem too expensive here for what I can buy separately...even if I am throwing half out.

As for tomatoes....is it the seeds or the core that is "toxic" to bunnies, or am I wrong completely?

Thanks, you guys....this is a big help :D!

I'm pretty sure that the entire fruit part if safe, but the leaves and stems are a big no-no? I've always given the tomato as is, but a small piece at a time.

NZminilops wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the entire fruit part if safe, but the leaves and stems are a big no-no? I've always given the tomato as is, but a small piece at a time.

Yep, you're right:). This from an HRStoxic plant list:

http://www.adoptarabbit.com/articles/toxic.html

{Tomato (leaves, vines) Meaning tomato is okay-leaves, vines are not (they're toxic).}

A couple apple seeds are not harmful. We give the entire core to our rabbits all the time. They'd have to eat a lot of seeds to reach a toxic level.

Pam

Latest posts

Back