Is a Trip to the Vet in Order?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merisa L

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Our bunny Romeo, who we rescued from outside in mid-December, has been presenting with a runny nose since a few days after we brought him inside.

The secretions coming from his nose are thin, watery and clear, so at first I had assumed it was water as he can get very enthusiastic about drinking from his bowl. I also believed it could have been spit from his regular grooming sessions. I’ve been cleaning his face 1-2 times a day with a damp cloth, and I’ve not noticed any dampness/matting on his paws. He’s not showing any other red flags (no tooth grinding, lethargy, hunched position, runny eyes, etc), and his appetite is healthy. He also had a vet check-up the day we got him, and the vet checked him over and noted his teeth looked great and he’s a healthy weight, she also said his heart and lungs sound fine. I’m a nursing student so I’ve also been using my stethoscope to listen to his lungs, and I haven’t heard anything that could be considered abnormal.

I’m just concerned if this might be an early precursor of something more worrying? I’ve been trying to dig through guides and forums to understand what it could be, and some people say that some rabbits can be sensitive/allergic to certain scents or even types of hay, and there’s always the possibility of it being something bacterial. I’m hoping someone with a similar experience may be able to shed light on this and let me know if a vet visit is warranted.

Thanks!

Have you seen any white or colored discharge? Or does he seem to be sneezing a lot?

Have you seen any white or colored discharge? Or does he seem to be sneezing a lot?
Neither, actually! The discharge from his nose is very thin and clear, and he’s not sneezing at all.

I wonder if because you brought him in from outside, that because he still has a winter coat if maybe he is just getting hot. Rabbits will get moisture around the nose and mouth when hot, to help them cool their body temp. If he is flopped out a lot and not very active, that can be a sign he's hot. Look also for rapid respirations. If you think he might be hot, cool tiles, a frozen water bottle, cool water in his dish, can all help reduce their body temp.
https://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-health/recognizing-heat-stroke-in-your-pet-rabbit/

I wonder if because you brought him in from outside, that because he still has a winter coat if maybe he is just getting hot. Rabbits will get moisture around the nose and mouth when hot, to help them cool their body temp. If he is flopped out a lot and not very active, that can be a sign he's hot. Look also for rapid respirations. If you think he might be hot, cool tiles, a frozen water bottle, cool water in his dish, can all help reduce their body temp.
https://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-health/recognizing-heat-stroke-in-your-pet-rabbit/

that’s actually a really good theory! He hasn’t been rapidly breathing as far as I can tell, but he’s quite often flopped and I’ve noticed as far as buns go he’s a bit of a couch potato, so it’s quite possible that he’s warm. Thank you for the info!

Back