Is a cheap fan on low speed bad for rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homework9293

Reaction score
I haven't done anything yet but tomorrow it's supposed to be close to 40 degrees celcius here in Canada, Ontario.

We have central air but there's not much flow of air to my room specifically. I've heard people people a piece of granite in for bunnies to lay on to cool down.

However I'm wondering if it's safe or not to put a cheap desk/table fan far away from them on low speed towards one corner of the cage.

A fan isn't going to do much. If you want to use it, be sure they can get away from the breeze if they choose.

A more effective option is to put a plastic soda bottle partially filled with water in the freezer. Then, tomorrow when it gets hot, that can be placed in the cage to provide a cool spot for them to lay near. You can wrap it in a linen-type of dish towel.

(Looks like you meant 30C, not 40C, at least according to the weather reports I see for there.)

Last edited:
You probably meant 30 C. (from what I see on forecasts). But either way, a fan isn't going to do much. If you want to use it, be sure they can get away from the breeze if they choose.

A more effective option is to put a plastic soda bottle partially filled with water in the freezer. Then, tomorrow when it gets hot, that can be placed in the cage to provide a cool spot for them to lay near. You can wrap it in a linen-type of dish towel.
I can make it blow one direction in a certain part of the cage if that works? Then they can go away if they're too cold.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220614-234403_Weather Network.jpg
    Screenshot_20220614-234403_Weather Network.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 12
I haven't done anything yet but tomorrow it's supposed to be close to 40 degrees celcius here in Canada, Ontario.

We have central air but there's not much flow of air to my room specifically. I've heard people people a piece of granite in for bunnies to lay on to cool down.

However I'm wondering if it's safe or not to put a cheap desk/table fan far away from them on low speed towards one corner of the cage.
well i have same problem and got fan for my bun, but look like the wind is bad for her ear and she start to shaking her head when go front of fan, she dont like this idea at all
i got this to see how hot my room is , outside is about 38C

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-06-15 at 5.40.17 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-06-15 at 5.40.17 PM.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 2
In years past I used a cheap fan for some of our buns; but, this year I switched to an oscillating fan on its lowest speed for our young Flemish Giant. He seems to enjoy it because he'll lay down in front of it. If his ears get too cool he'll slip into a hidey hole that protects him from the breeze.

We also have several rabbits in our cool basement; but, when the summers get hot I run a large oscillating floor fan 24/7 for them. It covers the whole area where the rabbits are. They can go outside whenever they want; but, stay indoors when it gets hot.

The cost has been minimal. We already had a spare fan and the floor unit was a thrift store find for $5.

Our buns have loved the fan. They would often purposefully aim to sit in front of the fan and then hop off somewhere else. Also, as long as they can move out the way if they need to, i wouldn't be worried about a few wind-induced head shakes. Storm would often shake his before he went off, Iris isn't bothered in the slightest. Depends on how sensitive your bun is.

Latest posts

Back