iPod Nano or Classic

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Momto3boys

Reaction score
My 9 year old son wants his first iPod and I really can't decide which one to get him...he really doesn't know much about them just that he wants one, lol

I've already ruled out iPod Touch since it's just too far advanced for a 9 yr old (IMO)

And the shuffle is basically an MP3 player, he likes touch screens so that's why I've narrowed it down to Nano or Classic.

Part of me is leaning towards the Nano just so he can get a feel for it and to see if he's actually going to take care of it but then basically all he can do on it is music and I'm wondering if he would get bored with it.

The Classic is nice since he can play games on it as well, but again is it a little too advanced for a 9 yr old? I wish it was easy to decide but I just don't know. I've never owned an iPod so I don't really know anything about them besides what I read on line.

So any help and feed back would be greatly appreciated ;)

Any type of ipod or electronic isn't too advanced for a 9yo. Trust me he either already knows or will learn in 2 seconds. I know young kids(4ish) and can work an iphone better then I can.

I'd personally go for the touch over the classic. The touch is much more then just a MP3 player and I love mine. You can put all sorts of apps and games, connect to the internet and my fav is using to watch tv/movies(good for car trips or planes).

But if its only between the nano and the classic go for the classic.

See that's the thing he doesn't need one that goes online, he is only allowed using the family computer and we monitor everything he does on it...usually he just goes on youtube to watch music videos.

He also has a DSi that he can go online with but he just doesn't, he doesn't go on Facebook, he doesn't use email or anything like that. He honestly really has no interest in anything online besides music videos and games, he LOVES games, that's why I figured the classic since he can play games on that one.

Can you play games on the Nano?

Can you watch movies on the classic?? The touch also has a camera doesn't it?

There are games available for the nano but the selection is limited.

You can watch movies on the classic. You can also play games and stuff too its just the screen is smaller and instead of using a touch screen you have to use the buttons and scroll wheel. So not all the game apps will work on the classic, they need to be the specific ones for use with the click wheel.

Depending on which generation of Ipod touch you buy they may or may not have a camera. The newer ones have a video camera but mine(8g bought last year) doens't.

Thanks so much for the help!! You really have no idea how much you helped me.

I'm honestly thinking about buying him the Nano for now and if he can take care of it for a year then maybe next Christmas he will get the Touch.

The Nano and Shuffle are the same thing besides the Nano has a touch screen, is that right?

I would pick the Nano over the Classic if given the option, though it wouldn't work for be because I have about 35 GB of music alone and that won't fit on a Nano.

The nano is just a small Ipod, you can make playlists and play a few games, I don't know about videos. I"m not 100% sure on the new nanos though. You'll have to check the specs on those as they completely changed them and now they are just a square touch screen, with no click wheel.

The shuffle is just a music player. It doesn't have a screen so no games.

One consideration if you're getting an iPod for a 9-year-old is the nature of the storage - the Classic uses a physical spinning hard disk drive, while the Nano has solid-stage memory. That means that if you drop the Classic, the drive may well be damaged, while the Nano should be sturdier (at least, the memory wouldn't be affected by shocks).

I'd probably go with the nano as well. I must mention, if you haven't thought of it already, the advantage of having a silicone sleeve. Silicone sleeves would really protect it a lot, especially from shock as it absorbs quite a bit. :biggrin:They are cheap. I highly recommend buying them online on either amazon or ebay. :)

Latest posts

Back