Introducing, Zuri.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She's so gorgeous and adorable! You're so lucky :biggrin2: I wonder how exactly they get Velveteen Lops? My little Phoebster is half Mini Rex, half Holland Lop... when I heard we were going to go look at a litter of rex-lops, I was so excited! But my little girl has a mini rex body, face and uppy ears, Holland Lop fur (though admittedly softer than normal) and longer ears than a normal mini rex. Her two siblings were just like her except one had slightly rexier fur. I wonder how they get the babies to be both rexy and loppy, since Phoebe and her siblings got the rex ears and lop fur!

IMG_0017.jpg

I'm not trying to hijack your thread (not that the attention could be taken away from the lovely Zuri!), I'm just curious about the genetics! I would love to have a Velveteen Lop one day...

I'm sure a breeder will come along and explain it to you properly butI believe it'ssomething like this:it takes many generations (?) to create the breed. What I mean is, you won't get a velveteen from a single litter. You need to create it by getting the best stock possible and then you keep the best of the litter (body type, coat, etc) and keep crossing them until you get what you are looking for.

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the velveteen lop and the plush lop? I have noticed some have the body of the E-lop, whereas some seem to have the body of the holland? Are they working on one specifically or will both be developped?

Aside from that, I think your Zuri is absolutely adorable :)You're very lucky to have such a softie :biggrin2:

MissBinky wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a difference between the velveteen lop and the plush lop? I have noticed some have the body of the E-lop, whereas some seem to have the body of the holland? Are they working on one specifically or will both be developped?
i was kinda wondering about that too:)

I think that the plush and the velveteen may be crossed with different kinds of lops, but I'm not for sure. I do know that the Rex fur is a recessive gene, so it takes a lot of time and hard work to get a bunny that has it (without breeding pure Rex, that is.) Which is why the velveteens are not very common.

I looked up "mini rex holland lop" on google back when I got Phoebs, and I read about a bunny that someone adopted from a rabbit rescue that was a lop with rex fur. I wonder how much went into the breeding to get a bunny like that? He was so cute and I was a little surprised to see a rabbit like that at a rabbit rescue, he'd been there for a while!

How is little Zuri today? Is she starting to fill out at all? I want to pet her so badly!

Latest posts

Back