Introducing Peppy to new Rabbit From Shelter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeppyTheHare

Reaction score
I'm pretty certain I want to adopt a spayed female rabbit named Clover from an animal shelter in Boston. I'm not sure if Peppy (a male) would be better off meeting her in the fairly noisy and probably frightening shelter, Or if waiting till we can do it in our quiet house would be best. We can bring her back within the two week period if it doesn't work out and maybe try introducing him to another rabbit.

What do you guys think is the best way to go about it?

heres her btw, so cute haha
48136ag_27.jpeg

although it might be easier on you to do it in your house, it could possibly be quite traumatic for the sheelter bun! introduce them at the shelter and unless fur is flying you might have a good chance at bonding

Brought peppy to the shelter and it went pretty well! they were nice to each other and sniffing a lot. Peppy did mount her quite a lot, not sure what that means exactly.

Now we've got them in separate cages in our dining room where peppy has never been either. It's blocked off and sometimes we let either one of them out to sniff around the others cage. (although we haven't been successful in getting clover to come out of her cage. She seems a little shy)

I would say give pepper a few days to adjust before expecting much confidence. It's a new situation and people. It will take a while for her to feel sure you are her friend and not going to eat her.

Best way to bond is "mini-dates" each day for just 2 minutes; that way they get to spend time, but do not get to the point of fighting; then after the 2 minutes goes well after a week or 2; add another minute; the whole idea is to not ever let them get into a squabble. Good luck and PLEASE keep posting as it goes along, would love to see what you find works and doesn't as bonding is all just try and error.

Latest posts

Back