Introducing newly bonded rabbits to larger space

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie94

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post so hopefully it’s going to the right place, please let me know if it’s not.

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice or thoughts on introducing rabbits to a larger area. We recently had our boy bonded by a rescue centre and they came home a couple of days ago. At the moment they are in their own bedroom (picture attached) but we have not let them loose in the house yet. I have heard that increasing space too quickly can cause fighting.

My plan was to introduce more space gradually so open up a room at a time and let them get used to it. I’m not sure at what stage I can start doing this though? Should I leave them to adjust for longer and then how quickly should I open up more space? The area is also where our boy has been before and I have vacuumed all over but I don’t know if I should do more to make it seem more neutral.

My other concern is that they may get fed up being stuck in the pen which will lead to fall outs, our boy is used to being let out and I keep noticing him chewing the bars where the door is everytime we walk past. I’m pretty sure he only does it when he sees us and is otherwise settled but it’s still a worry. We have had a horrible experience of a bond breaking, he was previously bonded with his brother, so want to make sure that this one works out. It may also be worth noting that the new female is not spayed as she is too young her spay is booked in December.

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• DF7E7E09-72B2-4479-9D4C-099A30050D91.jpeg
    DF7E7E09-72B2-4479-9D4C-099A30050D91.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 18
I have never heard of a rescue center bonding an intact rabbit with another rabbit. That is highly unusual (and highly risky). I don't understand how they can say that these two are "bonded." Once her hormones kick in, that could cause either the male or her (or both) to turn aggressive and they could begin to fight. If that does not happen before her spay, then when she returns from being spayed, then, again, either one may see the other as "a stranger" because of her having been at the vet and picking up unusual scents.

I find this highly unusual for a rescue to do such a thing and call the rabbits bonded.

That said, if they were both already fixed and newly bonded, I would leave them in the spacious area you show in your photo for several weeks to give them time to cement that bond. Seeing that she is still intact, I'd have to say that it would probably be best to keep them in that space until well after her spay. In fact, it would be a good idea to add in a box or two...a place where one can get away from the other in case tensions begin to rise with the onset of hormones.

In the meantime, keep a close eye on them as one never knows when (or if) those hormones will have a negative effect on their relationship.

Hi blue eyes, thank you for your response. I must admit I had reservations about the girl being intact however I believe it is common practice with that rescue to bond baby rabbits to already altered partners rather than keep them as same sex pairs. My guess is because male and female partnerships usually work better but it’s obviously very risky to keep unaltered rabbits of the opposite sex together. They must bond many rabbits this way and if problems developed frequently then surely they wouldn’t do it like that as so many would be returned. I will definitely keep them in their pen for the foreseeable and hope the hormones don’t have a negative effect! When she goes in for her spay we were told to bring both rabbits in together to avoid them rejecting each other due to new smells. I have a couple of boxes that can be added to the pen in incase they need a break from each other in the meantime!

Hi there..ok, I agree with what Katie94 said about the bonding and possibly fighting..so please watch..it is always good for the buck to be in the cage first before the does so he feels it’s his territory..so you have that going for you...I breed rabbits, and use these things called tractors..it’s a way to put new liters of rabbits together on the ground to eat grass and move them around....it usually goes well....they are usually young groups though..how old is your buck....also..right now I have a bonded doe.in heat, not spayed, and a 3 mths buck together...she is on him like crazy...not fighting...loving....so, even though, she may be too. Young, He may not know that...and he may...try......but, definitely get them their own boxes...but one feeder, one waterer...they will bond there....the room looks great...and yes..it’s huge..they don’t need to go bigger yet..plus..she’s new..stress is hard on bunnies...he’s in his element..he’ll be ok...she needs time...and welcome ...I’m brand new here too!

@Duckfarmer1 Rabbits don't come into heat like other animals, they are induced ovulaters, meaning they produce an egg after intercourse has occurred. And in bonding, you want to bond them in a neutral area because he can become aggressive in his area. The bringing the doe to the buck is a breeding thing only. How can you consider them bonded if neither one of your rabbits is spayed or neutered?

We consider them bonded because we have them together from when they leave their mothers in one large pen....and then a play area in the grass during the day....they become like siblings to each other until hormones kickin, which is when we separate most of ours unless we intend to breed... So, to us, that’s a bond..I’m sorry if I mispke about house bunnies......ok so this would be more like I handle ducks..we do a look but don’t touch type thing..neutral ground...with no interaction..I usually have mine I pens...then slowly introduce but usually side side in the center of the duck house..after that we let out and watch..we observe, and correct behavior..which what they’ll have to do herr...I guess the only thing I said wrong was about it being good to put them in his space first, I do apologize...and as for ovulation and how that gos..thanks but we’ve got that down to a science..lol

@Duckfarmer1
I know you may know a lot about breeding, but those are the facts and ANYBODY else would agree that is the truth. I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to make sure everyone has the right facts. ;)

@Duckfarmer1
I know you may know a lot about breeding, but those are the facts and ANYBODY else would agree that is the truth. I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to make sure everyone has the right facts. ;)
Oh, no, I didn’t think you were being rude, that’s why I hate texting...lol..I honestly am glad to learn about how to bond house rabbits..that’s why I joined..because I WANT to learn, not because I think I know it all..in no way do I know even a fraction, but I’m working hard and fast and want to know it all, so I can help my buyers too! Thank you August & HazelGrace!

Oh, no, I didn’t think you were being rude, that’s why I hate texting...lol..I honestly am glad to learn about how to bond house rabbits..that’s why I joined..because I WANT to learn, not because I think I know it all..in no way do I know even a fraction, but I’m working hard and fast and want to know it all, so I can help my buyers too! Thank you August & HazelGrace!

If you are selling rabbits as pets, especially those that will be housed indoors, it's a whole different world than outdoor-and-breeding rabbits. ;) It can be a finicky thing to bond a rabbit with another rabbit (not counting babies as they typically get along until hormones kick in). If you are looking for a resource for buyers concerning indoor rabbits, feel free to offer my website. (I make nothing through it. It is purely informational and just about housing indoor pet rabbits.)

If you are selling rabbits as pets, especially those that will be housed indoors, it's a whole different world than outdoor-and-breeding rabbits. ;) It can be a finicky thing to bond a rabbit with another rabbit (not counting babies as they typically get along until hormones kick in). If you are looking for a resource for buyers concerning indoor rabbits, feel free to offer my website. (I make nothing through it. It is purely informational and just about housing indoor pet rabbits.)
I don’t really sell many. I mostly give them away but yes they are for pets. So yes I will definitely use your website. I didn’t know about it yet. So thank you. I joined this one for personal use. I want to learn more about the health and care because I just lost more to GI Stasis. Plus. These are not seen as money makers. I’m not a breeder. Yes I breed them because I love baby bunnies and all that comes with it but we have more than 100 animals on our hobby farm and I love them. Most of them have names. I just want to learn more and meet people who love bunnies like I do ❤️

Back