Introducing myself & new owner advice please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blondeyork

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Hope you all had a good new year. I got my 2 bunnies, Bella (mini lionlop) & Bing minilop 2 weeks ago, they are now 10 weeks old. I was told to only feed the pellets the lady gave me, 2 small amounts per rabbit twice a day, then slowly introduce the adult pellets. By swapping two over each day. Nothing else apart from hay until 16weeks. They just seem so hungry tho, I mean I'm sure they are almost begging. I feel so bad. Is this normal or do I just have a couple of greedy bunnies? Help really appreciated and look forward to getting to know you all.

Welcome! As far as I know younger rabbits should get unlimited pellets and must have unlimited source of hay. They are growing and need that extra nutrition. Definitely wait on vegetables and start them slowly just in case they have a bad reaction to what ever you feed them. Be sure you lok up rabbit safe veggies before you give them anything. My female Belle got a hold of some spilled coconut oil before I found out that it was spilled and I thought she was going to die she got so sick from. There are a lot of things a house rabbit will eat that they are not suppose to. My rabbits are about 6 months and the other 4 and I still feed mine as much pellets as they will eat. Generally i fill their bowls in the morning and they will eat what they want during the day. Sometimes there's some left over, sometimes not. If you change their pellets add a small amount in their food at a time to let them adjust to the new food, just like you would for a dog or cat. I'm new to rabbits a bit but I've done a lot of research and reading. It really helps a lot.

^ I second that. Check out this website, they've got a lot of great advice. As far as I know, you should be feeding your bunnies unlimited pellets until they are at least seven months old. :)

Thanks so so much guys. I did think that but the lady I got them from is a registered breeder, and shows rabbits so I thought "oh well she must know best". I'm so glad I asked you as I just knew it wasn't right. I have been giving them constant hay, but everytime I "snuck" them more pellets I kept thinking I hope I'm not causing you any harm.

Will read site link given.

Again thanks so much!!

Actually, til they are 4 months they should get unlimited alfalfa--higher in calcium and protein for growth. Also told to free feed pellets til 6 months and transition strait alfalfa for timothy or orchard till that's all they get at 6 months, but never limit the amount of hay.

Latest posts

Back