Introducing Giggles and a Warning About Cats

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nela

Reaction score
For those of you who didn't see the other thread, I've adopted a bunny that was being rehomed via local ads here. She seems alright though she does have a broken/deformed toe and very long nails. Not sure if there is a problem with her teeth as her chin was wet as though she was drooling so I will keep an eye on that... She is a special bunny to me and I have a very strong affection for her. I have named her 'Giggles' in honour of my beloved Wiggles. She reminds me of her in many ways already...

She is a 1 year-old japanese harlequin mini-rex. If all goes according to plan, she will be spayed soon and all the buns will get their shots as well. :)

DSC00439.jpg

DSC00441.jpg

DSC00442.jpg

She's still quite scared so I try to let her be. I put her in the playpen and I go about doing my stuff, keeping an eye on her. I decided to put Smores and his kennel facing the playpen. Instantly, she ran to him and it's like she was comforted by his presence as she is now playing and munching on hay close to him. I have not allowed them to come into contact, nor will I for a time. Plus, she needs to be spayed. I'm glad she could get some comfort.

Oh... And about cats and bunnies... You have to be really careful or you might end up with this:

http://s867.photobucket.com/albums/ab238/NelaBunneh/Bunnehs/?action=view&current=M4H00437.mp4

As you can see, Houdina is more than eager to play with her. She rolls around trying to get her attention. Houdina was raised with bunnies and she adores them. She even sneaks into their playpen and plays with the hay or lies down beside them :p Always supervised of course, and nails are clipped :)

* I cannot remember how to embed video :grumpy *

She is stunning!!!

Yes I agree with you about cats. I personally believe cats are more danger to buns than dogs (only my opinion) because cats generally are still out and about hunting and keeping their instincts high and alert, whereas dogs don't generally ever hunt or come in with dead animals they have caught.

I have both cats and dogs, and both are fantastic with my buns, although I would never leave them unsupervised. The rabbits were here first, so all the dogs and cats have been brought up with the buns and so were taught to be respectful etc. and now it's not 'exciting' anymore. It's like- oh there's a bunny.... again. I'll go back to grooming lol.

It's nice to see the interactions between them though- finding Benji resting squidged up next to Rolo (dog), or seeing my cat Lottie gently grooming Pippin's head. Have to be careful and alert all the time though- as much for the cats n dogs as for the rabbits cos a bite from a bun is pretty nasty.

Jen

It is nice to see kitties wanting to play and not trying to "stalk" the rabbit. Your brown cat looks and acts just like my boy kitty. When I get my rabbit this spring I hope that all interactions are as calm as yours.

I agree that supervision is key to the relationship. I told my husband I would let the rabbit have free run of the house and then he was confused when I made plans to build a cage. I had to explain that the cage was for when I could not keep an eye on everyone or when we were not home. Too much can happen without supervision.

Also it is nice that all my cats are very good when it comes to nail clipping - I worked with each as a kitten.

Look at those big beautiful eyes!!! And her coloring is to die for <3 I'm glad she's starting to feel more comfortable around the house! Can't wait until we can see Giggles and Smores together :)

so good of you to take her in, shes super pretty

Omg, thats too cute, lol. My cats were also raised with bunnies so they've lost their charm for the cats, same thing "oh, a bunny..." *goes back to grooming* my mum's cats on the other hand are just fascinated with them, and Emma loves exploring their enclosures even more... and stealing some bunny pellets whenever she can... weird cat. I still dont trust them all enough to leave them unsupervised together, so Im always there when any bun is out.

Oh and you have the most gorgeous bun I have ever seen by the way :)

Thanks guys, I'm glad you all like her! Yeah, Houdina adores the bunnies. She wouldn't ever purposely harm them I think but I don't take a chance. Rabbits can also give a nasty bite so it's as much for the cats as it is for the bunnies. My cats are both used to me trimming their nails so it's really nice to do it myself.

Right now, I'm cutting up some mesh to use as a divider to separate the playpen a bit so she can be closer to Smores. She's extremely scared and very panicky so I am trying to find ways to soothe her. The mesh is small so they can't bite or reproduce through it :p

Hopefully, something will calm the poor girl. :expressionless

Buns feel secure if they have cover (and traction), that's their most basic instinct. They feel safe in a 'warren'.

I seem to remember she came from a dark, covered hutch/cage, really best to duplicate that as best you can, even if its just a cardboard box in the current pen to run to for sanctuary. Especially a new rabbit should have one available to her wherever she is. It should also be a 'no humans allowed' zone.

I suspect she's sitting in the cardboard area now because it's the one with some familiar ground (the hay) and the only bit of cover in there (the cardboard flap). Its probably pretty scary for her to be out in the open like that.

The rabbit rescue here (VRRA) just brought two bunnies over in a cardboard box with three small holes on three sides at various heights, and they hop back in it whenever they're startled.

Its funny seeing these medium to largish bunnies deftly hop through these holes. My chubby, complacent, lazy crew may not want to make the effort, but I'm going to start doing that instead of building doors. :)

sas :bunnydance:

Giggles is absolutely beautiful....such a pretty lil face she has..

You are right, Sas. I had given her a box to dig in but only gave her the tunnel to hide in and that's still open on both ends and not as dark either. I'll give her one of those boxes with the holes like you mentionned. We have plenty anyway since we've just moved in. :biggrin2: Thanks for that!

I've managed to split the playpen in half so now Smores is in there as well, in his half. She instantly perked up and started playing. Up over the tunnel, inside, up again... Lol. They seem to be enjoying each other. Smores is lying down against the mesh and watching her while she runs in and out of the tunnel. They keep sniffing each other and licking the mesh. Smores is binkying like a fool. Think he is trying to impress her any? :p

Gorgeous! Love the colors and those big ole eyes! :biggrin:

I have 4 cats, which get along with the bunnies great. My 1yr old boy cat harasses my boy bunny sometimes though.

Haha, yeah I've been trying to record them but the cats keep getting involved :p That or I start a sneezing fit and anyone who would watch would get dizzy. Lol. Hope to catch them soon though!

Latest posts

Back