Introducing Cookie Doh Sundae (aka Cookie)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoeyGirl

Reaction score
Well, we finally adopted a bunny today. In fact, we haven't been home very long. I found this girl/boy on craigslist. The dad had found the rabbit that someone had dumped at his work. The family was going to keep it but decided it was too much w/ their kids and other animals. So, I saw the ad and we got him/her. We're definitely not sure what sex bunny is. I haven't even built a cage yet, so s/he's in the cage they had him/her in for now. I guess I know what I'll be doing the next few evenings. :)

Here's the 2 pics from the craigslist ad:

Ourbunny2.jpg

Ourbunny.jpg

And one I took when we were in the car.

0307101612-001.jpg

I'll take more later once s/he's not so traumatized. I have a few questions: is it normal for them to shake when in new situations? Can they eat the pellets that are made for guinea pigs? (Someone had told me they could but I wanted to make sure. The family did send some pellets along w/ him/her.) I'm also assuming that mineral & salt wheels are bad for buns like GPs. And do they shed/moult during certain seasons? And how do I tell if it's a boy or girl? And we have a vet appointment at the end of the month for our dog. Would it be a good idea to have Cookie checked as well?

I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions but that will do for now. Thank you for all your help!

Welcome to the forum, we're glad to have you!:wave:

He/she is really adorable! Glad to have someone sorta close to me here on RO!:pinkbouce:

Have you seen the cages many of us have built? They're made out of organize it cubes, they work wonderful and you can design the size/shape your own way and they're so much cheaper than the actual cages you can buy in petstores.:D One thing I would recommend is to get that bun off that wire bottom asap, as it can put unneeded pressure on the feet and cause sore hocks. Maybe just lay something smooth in there for now or let the bun out alot during the time you are home.;)

As far as gp pellets, I think I would stick with bun pellets. You'll want to stick with the same brand/kind as well, as switching pellets is about a 2 week process. They're little systems have to get used to new food.

Yes, they normally shed/moult during Spring/Fall. Shedding not so bad, moulting, omg, is bad. I like to go outside and brush during this time. There is just so much hair that comes off that it's almost unbelievable, lol. It's great to do on a day where there's a gentle breeze too, to take that hair away.:p

I would probably get the bun to a rabbit savvy vet for a little check up, yes, to make sure he/she is healthy, they could even sex the bun.

When you get a chance, maybe check out our Library here, it's full of wonderful information!

Again, welcome!

:wave:Hi and welcome to you and Cookie Doh

What a gorgeous looking bunny he/she is...such a cute little face.

What a cute bun!

Wire bottom cages are ok, just like AngelnSnuffy said you need to have something for the bun to lay or it will get sore hocks.

If the bun will will be using a litterbox do not use cat litter or any corn based litter as these are harmful to the bun should it eat any. Wood pellets, pine shavings are ok if they are kiln dried (removes harmful oils), do not use cedar shavings.

Look forward to more pictures.

Thank you all for the information. We actually put a fleece blanket in there for him. (Yes, I'm about 99% sure after googling how to sex a bun that we have a boy!)

I will be building him a cage (at least starting) tonight. I actually have guinea pigs and have built C&C cages for them. So, I've had experience w/ that. :)

As far as pellets, the family that had him gave me some cheap rabbit pellets they bought from the local store (think Walmart-type). I still need to research a good pellet source.

Well, I'm off to build his cage. I hope to get most of it done tonight and move him into it. I hate to see him all cramped up in that tiny cage. Thanks again!!

Welcome!
It's usually easy to tell if it's a boy, if it's not neutered!
As for the shaking, just keep an eye on him, and make sure he continues to eat and poop. Do you have hay for him? Being in Springfield, you should be able to get some pretty good quality pellets at a feed store for cheap, if that's what you want. There are some premium brands that only a few pet stores, and online stores carry, too.

If anything like not eating/pooping or any other stress signs occur, don't hesitate to post in the Infirmary! We can help with some home-based remedies in non-emergency cases.

I would have him vet checked soon just to make sure he's not carrying any parasites (internal or external) etc.

Thanks again! He's doing very well tonight in his new home. I'll post his cage in the cage section.

And I order 50lbs of Orchard hay from Drs. Foster & Smith for my guinea pigs. So he's enjoying that as well. The previous owners had bought the little tiny cubes of pressed hay. I'm not sure what to do w/ them.

Thank you for all of the help. I didn't get a chance to call the vets office today but Pepper (our dog) has an appointment on the 30th & I'll take Cookie in at the same time.

I had fun building the cage but now I get to spend time this week cleaning the room he'll be staying in. It's a wreck. Once I get the room cleaned, I'll be able to let him out to roam free while we're home.

The hay sounds great. Those leftover cubes can be treats or trash, depending on how you feel about them. My guys don't get too excited for the cubes unless they're alfalfa, which is only ok for adult bunnies as a treat anyway. Just make sure your vet is rabbit-savvy--many vets haven't seen a rabbit since vet school, and a lot has changed in the last 20 years regarding how we treat rabbits, so a vet that's involved in continuing education for rabbit care is a must.

I actually have 2 exotic vets because of the guinea pigs. So I've been very fortunate. :)

How can you tell how old a bunny is? I know w/ guinea pigs we can guesstimate by their weight and their nails. I'm not sure how old he is. Ok, and how can I tell if he's neutered?

Here's a pic I got off of "Sexing a Rabbit" and he has those pink things. And I could pop out his manhood. So, do those pink things get bigger as they get older or do all bunnies have those pink things?

Bunnyparts.jpg

those "pink things" are his testicles. You have an unneutered male.
Be sure to call your vet ahead of time anyway - I know at the vet I worked at they'd definitely be stressed if people brought in extra animals to their appointment - especially a first time one like this. They really work their schedules so they can spend enough time with you.

missyscove wrote:
those "pink things" are his testicles. You have an unneutered male.
Be sure to call your vet ahead of time anyway - I know at the vet I worked at they'd definitely be stressed if people brought in extra animals to their appointment - especially a first time one like this. They really work their schedules so they can spend enough time with you.
For sure! Agreed, When I got Snuff his was about 3 and omg, lol, the testies!:shock::p

Vets can sometimes give you an estimate of age by size, teeth, and when they do surgery, the amount of fatty tissue they see (more for females for spay surgery).

Alrighty! I will get him scheduled to be seen and to see when we can get him neutered. This will be a new experience for me. All the animals I've had were neutered/spayed prior to adoptions. I'll definitely need support/advice when we get this done.

Latest posts

Back