Introducing buns to other animals?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ame

Reaction score
I was wondering when and how to introduce my new buns to the rest of the furry family?

Depends on the furry family. With dogs, you'll have to be very careful and always be sure the bunny is secured, either in your hands or in a cage/carrier when the dog is around. Especially if the dog is bred from hunting/sporting lines. Most dogs like chasing and attacking rabbits - they can't help it, it's in their nature. Many a beloved pet rabbit has been lost to a pet dog.

Cats tend to be safer, but you still have to be cautious. Chances are, your bun will regard a cat as just another piece of furniture, but the cat will be curious about this strange little fuzzball and follow it around. It might even try swatting at the bun, which can be very dangerous as cat claws are sharp. Cats play rough and bunnies are delicate, so if your cat starts trying to initiate play with your bunny, you need to shut that down right away. Even if the cat doesn't hurt it, bunnies can and will kick out and bite if they're being annoyed. So either way, someone will get hurt.

I've heard of cats and rabbits co-existing eventually though, so if you've got a good handle on your pets' personalities and think they're unlikely to bother each other, go ahead and make introductions! I still wouldn't leave them alone unsupervised, but they'd probably be fine hanging out together every now and then if a human's around to make sure things don't get too rough.

Thanks so much! I'd never leave them alone I was mostly worried about the other pets scaring the poor little guys

Al of my animals get along great. I'm never out of sight when they're together, just because of how the area is set up. I can trust the cat and my pit mix completely with the buns. I have to watch my husky/great pyrenees mix just because he's a giant clumsy mutt. If he's in the room with the buns, I'm generally sitting on the floor (unless he's laying down sleeping) just so I can monitor his feet.

When it comes to introducing species, you have to REALLY know your animals and how to read the situation. You have to be able to tell the difference between a dog's curious watching and "preparing to pounce" stare. You have to be able to read your animals andknow what curiosity, playfulness, aggression, or fear look like. And, in most situations, you should never leave them alone together. Better safe than sorry....

Baby gates between them when they first see each other are great! I have 2 female cats and a male pit bull. My pit bull will just sniff my rabbit. I think he likes to eat bunny poop way to much. He knows if he sniffs our bun he'll get him to poop. LOL! My bun decided to be friends with the dog and cats.Floppy Odin squeezed through the baby gate on the side and said hello! Now I know my dog. He prefers the company of cats to other dogs. Plus he knows the word baby. So any animal is just one of his babies. The cats leave him alone and don't mess with him at all. They've seen rabbits before and just don't care. So take your time and your animals will be the ones to make the decision either way. Depends on them in the end really!

Back