Introducing a Cat and a Rabbit HELP!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashleyxxpiano

Reaction score
I recently adopted a cat a few months back and I more recently adopted a bunny. The bunny is used to cats and like to cuddle and play with them. My cat, however, is TERRIFIED of my bunny. She runs away any time the bunny comes playfully running up to her. She also walks cautiously around the living room if my rabbit is out of its cage. It makes me sad, because my cat seems to be very stressed out and upset. I also own a dog who is doing just fine with the rabbit encroaching on his space, but the stressful environment makes me feel bad for my kitty. Has anyone had a similar experience? And how long did it take for them to adjust? I've only ever introduced cats to cats (which thinking back on it now was much more violent and took quite a while for them to become best friends). Please share your experiences!!! :panic:

Just give it time. My cats would swat my rabbits now they are used to them. Also if you can just give your cat some attention while sitting near the rabbis cage with the bunny inside.

My bunnies terrify my cat, even though Groucho really wants to be her friend. I'm pretty sure she won't adjust. We got a cockatiel almost two years ago and she is still scared of him. She doesn't seem to realize she could eat him. Since the bunnies are bigger than her, I think she will always be scared. Dopey cat.

My cat was also scared of Sophie when we first got her. As the living room started to smell more like Sophie from all her chin rubbing, this even made my cat more reluctant to hang out there. I've had Sophie for 9 months now and my cat is now very accepting of her. My cat lets Sophie sit and lay next to her on the couch, they're fur is sometimes even touching and they sniff each other without incident. I'm hoping that their relationship progresses further. My cat is very tolerant but she mostly just tries to ignore Sophie. Poor Sophie, she loves my cat so much and always tried to follow her around. She performs her best binkies for her, circles around her and all my cat does is turn her head and walk away:(

It's real progess so far though. I was feeling like you for the first few months, sad for my old cat who seemed very stressed out about a cute little bunny. I made sure that I gave my cat extra attention and I gave her treats when she was around Sophie. You have to try to get your cat to associate your rabbit with positive things. I feel like this helped me a lot. I also got them eating together so they could see each other as they were eating. It's Jackson Galaxy's (cat behaviourist) technique, "Eat, PLAY, love" where all those 3 things happen to both animals while they're in the same room so that they both learn to associate good things happening by being together.

The main thing is be patient and make sure they don't have a fight with each other or you'll be taking a huge step backward in your progess.

Good luck

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back