International AIDs Awareness Day

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m.e.

Reaction score
I know it's been a rough week on the forum, but Ithought this should be mentioned anyway. Today is International AIDsAwareness Day (aka World AIDs Day).

• Right now, there are an estimated 39.4 million people infected with HIV and AIDs.

During 2004 around five million adults and children became infectedwith HIV. By the end of the year, an estimated 39.4 million peopleworldwide were living with HIV/AIDS.

Nearly 3.5 million people have died of AIDs this year, despite theavailability of HIV antiretroviral therapy which reduced the number ofdeaths in high income countries. 20 million have died in the past 22years. The rates are growing....

12 million African children have been orphaned by AIDs. By 2010, therewill be an estimated 20 million orphans living in sub-Saharan Africa.

By December 2004 women accounted for 47% of all people living with HIV worldwide, and for 57% in sub-Saharan Africa.

In 2003, young people (15-24 years old) accounted for half of all newHIV infections worldwide, more than 6,000 became infected with HIVevery day.

An estimated five million people in low and middle income countries do not have the AIDS drugs which could save their lives.

The statistics are heartbreaking and overwhelming. If you're like me,you think: I can't do everything, so why do anything? Here'swhat you can do on December 1st...

- wear a red ribbon, made of simple fabric and a safety pin. Pass them out to friends, family, and co-workers.

- pray and light a candle, in remembrance of all who have been affectedby HIV and AID: those that have died and those that survive.

- donate to an organization seeking to lessen the suffering and stop the spread of this dreaded disease.

redribbon.gif

Candle.jpg

Thank you, m.e.

Prayers for those and their familiesthat have suffered fromthis terrible illness. I hope we find a cure for it andcancer, and so many others that still puzzle us.

-Carolyn

Thank you for posting this m.e. I will be lighting a candle soon.

Those figures are quite staggering too. I remember when I was young andbecoming first aware of it, with Ryan White. Seems like a long timeago, which I guess it is now. I so hope they can come up with a cure,or vaccinne (sp?)

Thank-you m.e~ an informative post for those whommay otherwise of been unaware of theillness that has befallenso many of those who have touched our lives.

xoxoxo

Cher

Latest posts

Back