Interesting Rabbit Facts....need help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendymac

Reaction score
We need to make a HUGE poster for the 4-H rabbit barn. The orders were, "Make a poster with interesting rabbit facts on it."

I really stink at coming up with stuff like this. My daughter is coming up blank, too. I printed out some cute bunny graphics and carrots and stuff, to decorate it. Now I need the facts.

So far I have:

Bunnies make excellent pets

See? I need help. :)

Rabbits are very gentle and rarely, if ever, bite.
They don’t make noise.
Rabbits don’t smell, their droppings are dry and have no residue or odor.
They will use litter boxes.
Rabbits are naturally smart, curious, friendly and entertaining.
Domestic (European) rabbits are a different species from wild rabbits.
Even feral domestic rabbits can be socialized
They are not rodents.
They don’t carry diseases.
Rabbits are ‘vegan’, they eat hay, grass, weeds and greens and can be inexpensive to feed.

Rabbits are not rodents.
Rabbits can live to 10 years old, sometimes longer.
Rabbits can weight 2lb to 20lbs depending on their breed.
When rabbits are happy they will jump and twist, this is called a binky.
Rabbits love to chew.
Rabbits do not hibernate.
Rabbit's teeth never stop growing.
Rabbits will eat its own cecotropes (night droppings) they are a valuable source of protein.
There are about 180 different rabbit breeds worldwide.
Rabbits can see behind them but have a blind spot directly infront.

Rabbits poop makes great fertilizer!
Can mention how many breeds of rabbit there are
Their versatile purposes
rabbits have been domesticated longer than cats...i think?

Cats vs rabbits, I don't know. But I don't think anybody ever raised cats as food. They were for hunting mice & then as pets. Ancient Egypt thought of them as embodiments of a goddess & cats have never forgotten it, lol.

LOL Orlena! So true!!!

They should be spayed or neutered just like cats and dogs if not used for breeding.
They are considered exotics and need special vet care.
Rabbits love to play with toys.
Rabbits are very social so they needs lots of interaction with their humans and/or a bunny friend.

Thanks, guys!!

As for the social aspect, I have a question. If they're so darn social, why is it so hard to put 2 rabbits together? LOL Anyway, I have plenty of facts and even found some pictures to go with them (like a rabbit with glasses on, for the nearsighted fact; a rabbit yawning for the teeth never stop growing; one in a litter box for the litter box using one; etc.)

I think I'm having more fun with this than my daughter. LOL

Because they are also very territorial. It goes back to the wild ancestors. Rabbits live in groups so they are social, but if an intruder came that smelled different they would defend the group home. I guess it is like famlies. We like having our own people in our house but would freak if a stranger just walked in. Once we get to know someone then we can invite them over if we like them. :)

Sorry, hard to tell on here :)

I totally agree. I am really hoping my two new very laid back buns can play peace maker between Gary and Sophie. Thoes two just hate each other but everybun loves the new couple, so we will see. I have visions of all 6 bunnies running free all the time :)

Apparently Bunnicula shares my vision because she keeps escaping her enclosure. She's so little and great at jumping it is hard to keep her contained.

Rabbits are smart and can be trained. They can do agility and rabbit hopping (hopping is just jumps, agility has A-frames, tunnels and other obstacles). They can also do other tricks. The world record for high jump is 1 meter and long jump is 3 meters.
Angora wool is 8 times warmer than sheep wool. Angora rabbits need regular grooming and most people use a blower rather than brushed. Angoras are typically sheered 3-4 times a year.
Rabbits are induced ovulators. The females (does) do not have a heat cycle, the eggs are released when they mate. This means they can be pregnant at almost anytime. Gestation is 28-35 days with the average being 31. Rabbits can be pregnant right after giving birth.

Acacia-Berry wrote:
Oh my god, add that they make great FAMILY pets.. But NOT kid pets.

MINIlophop wrote: They should be spayed or neutered just like cats and dogs if not used for breeding.
They are considered exotics and need special vet care.
Rabbits are very social so they needs lots of interaction with their humans and/or a bunny friend.

Wanted to agree especially with both of these posts. I think it's a real good idea to include info that would discourage impulse buying. Letting people know that they are not suitable for young kids and that they require fixing may discourage the pushover parent from buying one for a begging child. I think it is an interesting and little known fact that bunnies not being bred should be fixed for behavioral and health reasons. Most people I meet tend to be surprised at that (and the idea that they can be litter trained, of course).

Nancy McClelland wrote:
Was gonna say Smart and easily trained, but Kate got it.

smart is just the start of it. apart from not having opposible thumbs they are very good at solving problems just like raccoons. every breed, as well as every individual rabbit has specific personal traits just like humans. if your rabbits are house rabbits and you pay alot of attention to them they actually make a good security system as they can usually tell when something outside is going on well before i can.

[align=center]Hiya there,

If you don't have enough~

A rabbit's teeth never stop growing.

Rabbits can purr similar to a cat.

Rabbit's cannot vomit.

A four pound rabbit can drink as much water as a twenty pound dog.

Predators can LITERALLY scare a rabbit to death.

Rabbit's can have false pregnancies.

The only place a rabbit sweats is through the pads of their feet.

~Preston
[/align]

Latest posts

Back