Inside or Out?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaisyNBuster

Reaction score
Home of the white rabbits, , United Kingdom
Daisy has been inside for almost a month now andwas going to stay until the spring. The only thing is I have noticedthat she has not been herself. She appears to be quite anxious, runningbackwards and forwards in her cage and being very stroppy in the nightwhen we are trying to sleep. I let her out for a couple of hours duringthe day and she has full run of the kitchen, however I think she ismissing being outside.

I read somewhere that rabbits can survive more in thecoldmore thanin the heat and was wondering if Ishould put her back (my intention was to only keep her inside overbonfire night anyway). The only thing is we have just had the firstsnow and the thought of her being outside in the cold gives me theshivers. The hutch is covered over with a blanket and waterproofs so itisn't as though the cold can get through too much. Thinking about itwild rabbits are outside all the time arent they? How are rabbits inthe winter? I'd hate to go out to a frozen bunny. I really think shemisses her out-door hutch.

Vickie

Rabbits usually fare well in the coldand are more susceptable to problems from heat. It is usuallybetter for them to acclimate themselves to the outside ambienttemperatures over a protracted period of time. As you havehad Daisy inside for a month, she may have adjusted to thosetemperatures and placing her outside now might be problematic.

I've read of people keeping rabbits in temperatures as low aszero degree Farenheit with little detrimental effect as long as theywere kept out of drafts and suffered no dampness. Yourblanket and waterproofs would probably be adequate for thatpurpose. Extra straw might be beneficial underthose conditions, as well as regular servings of black sunflower seedsin moderate amounts. The extra fats provided therein help thebun to maintain body temperatures in the winter cold.

In short, she might do okay, depending upon the condition of her coatand how competely she has adapted to the inside environment.Under similar circumstances, I think I would let her serve out thewinter inside at this point.

JMHO. Anyone else having other thoughts for better reasons, please do jump in.

Buck

Buck - yes I was thinking it probably would be inher best interest to stay indoors. Like you said if she has adjusted tobeing indoors I wouldn't want to shock my girl by putting her outsideas we have had in the minus figures already and we are expecting colderto come, as we live up high near the hills. It is getting frosty too. Ithink the problem is her out-door hutch is huge compaired to what sheis in now. It might be the space that she doesn't like. I will justmake sure she is getting lots of exercise and plenty of affection.

A thought has just come to me now - Could it be the fact thatshe is near Snowy (an un-fixed male). Maybe this is why she isconstantly banging about?

Vickie

What does she do about Snowy when you let herlose within the house.? That should give you some indication of herattitude(s).

Our inside rabbits have alway been interested in thewhereabouts and goings on ofother inside rabbits on thoseoccasions when several rabbits were being kept inside. Oneused to poop and pee under the noses of the other caged rabbits when hewas set free, as a high rabbit insult I am sure! LOL

Buck

Buck Jones wrote:
One used to poop and pee under the noses of the other cagedrabbits when he was set free, as a high rabbit insult I amsure! LOL

Buck

LOL She hasn't done that yet!

She does go straight over to the cage and sits watching him. When shesout though she prefers to chase the cats. She seems to be moreinterested in them, to their disgust.

Vickie

Back