Inside Miss Pearl's cage this morning I found.....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mystical

Reaction score
8 babies. My California White is the proud Mom of 8 kits. 4 seem to be Black and the other 4 seem to be a Pinkish color, guessing they will be White. The Father is Merlin, a Dwarf Netherland. I have never had baby bunnies before. I am scared I do not have her area sit up properly. I did not know for certain she was pregnant. I have the answer know. lol. Any advise, would be appreciated. Both Mother & Father are very gentle family pets. They live inside with us, as they are family. I wonder if any of them could get spots of other colors as their hair comes in? Like White with some Black, or vice versa ?

Do you have a nestbox? If you can't afford one a cardboard box will work one with short sides. Put straw and most likely she pulled fur so put that in there and put the babies in there and cover them up with the fur. Make sure every day you check that they are plump and not wrinkly if they are wrinkly they are not being well fed. If you are not sure post a picture on here and I can tell you. Even if you can tell I would like to see them so I can help you with your color questions. Aren't you the one that said your 5-year old let all three of your buns out at the same time?

yes my 5 year old Son did let them out, and this morning he said "all of those from dancing mama". I do have a nesting box now, a farmer down the road provided me with one. She only pulled out a few tufts of hair. I was afraid to pick them up, I thought she would not take care of them if I did, but a friend of mine told me to hold them as often as I wanted.\, and also told me the same you did about checking their bellies. I would appreciate all the information and tips you can give me. When will their eyes come open, and also when will their real hair color come in?

I'm sure it did look like dancing to a 5-year-old because of them spinning in a circle if the doe was mounting the buck lol. Eyes will open about day ten. fur should come in shortly after. How did you find out if it was the Netherland or the Jersey? I am a yearly breeder and I handle all of my newborns every day because it's how they will be social when they are ready for weaning. most likely the "pink" ones will be white and the "Black" ones could be blue or lilac. blue and lilac are a dilute of black. If it is cold in your house then try to pull some fur from her underside or if you don't want to do this because you think it will hurt her I understand. If you have access to a Walmart near you they sell blankets for 2.50 I normally cut them in half and this works well to keep them warm. If it is warm in your house then you should be fine with just what she pulled. Also make sure that your kid(s) do not mess with the babies it could stress out the mom if she is not completely comfortable with them and they need to stay warm and the kid(s) could drop them and bunny spines are very delicate and a drop or fall could easily kill them instantly.

Well, while talking to my Son, he said Blueberry only wanted to eat one of the carrots he laid out for them. When I came in the room, that is what Blueberry was doing, eating a carrot. He is a older bunny, I am not for certain though, just going by what my Son said and what I saw. He said Merlin and pearl only danced . Of course I guess time should tell us. Do you think they will be dwarf size or big like Pearl? What are your thoughts?

Should I still let Pearl have her private hop time every day, or should I wait, and leave her in their with the bunnies? Usually every evening she likes to play with my Son. He sits on the floor and plays with his toys and she usually comes to investigate or to lay by him or knock his blocks or soldiers over. She is very gentle, and spoiled.

They should be somewhere in between weight wise. Yes, she can have her play time by herself and with your son. If she will leave her babies that is. By the time they start hopping out of the nestbox she will greatly appreciate the alone time. He just has to know he can't pick her up because her "Belly" AKA her teats will be sore from nursing. I don't know how much you feed her or of what but mine only eat a pellet and hay diet. (I have a lot of bunnies and veggies can be expensive, beings I'm only 16 and pay for everything myself.) If you feed her pellets and veggies or just pellets and hay let her have unlimited pellets and hay she needs the extra nutrients to supply milk for the next 6-7 weeks.

upload_2019-1-10_14-36-24.jpeg
images
I hope you get bunnies like this. This is called a California dwarf

OMG!!!!! Those are just adorable!!!! I feed ours pellets, hay, and they get one to two tiny baby carrots every Friday night or Saturday night. Something my 5 year old likes to do. I buy a lot of carrots anyways, luckily my 5 year old will eat them for snacks, he loves them. Are those your babies? What are their names? Hazel was one of the names I had picked for my next bunny. Which I know I will keep one out of this litter. Who knows, if I can not find them homes I may end up with all of them. Hubby would probably not like that. He loves the ones we have, but he said Pearl need to get fixed after this.

No, I found those on the internet. I have a bunny that is named Hazel-Grace off of The movie The Fault in Our Stars. I also Have one named Augustus Gus for short. When I got her I was told that she was a he so that's how she got that name. I see that you live in Indiana, I live in Kentucky so if you live in southern Indiana and they turn out like the pictures I showed you I would love to have one.

Of course, I would give one, or two, lol. I live close to Salem, Indiana or Corydon, Indiana. Have you ever heard of those towns. Last night I noticed she would step on her babies, not on purpose.

I would also recommend getting spayed. and if you would like her to bond to one of the boys they would need to be neutered. It is easier to bond male to female than male to male. Female to female is easier than male to male. Also spaying her lessens her chances of getting uterine cancer. How old is she it really needs to be done before she turns three because this is when the chances skyrocket.

Yes, Corydon is Two hours from me but I visit Evansville frequently if you could meet there. I have a doe I have been trying to get rid of I think she would bond really well with Ms. Pearl their personalities are very close except mine is kind of on the shy side, but very sweet and cuddly almost a lap rabbit lol. We could trade.

Let me see a picture of your bunny. What kind is she? I have not taken any of Miss pearls yet. But, I am off this weekend and I will then and share them with you. And meeting in Evansville, may be possible I have a bunny wish list. lol. One day I would like to have another Giant Flemish, or a Giant Continental, or a English Angora, or a German Angora, or a mini lop, or another Dwarf Lionhead. My first 2 were Lionheads and they passed awhile back of old age.

She is a New Zealand mix broken chinchilla color, I will post a picture later the picture is on my Mom's phone. Her name is Willow. As for an Angora if the person that I know still has one I can hook you up.

Willow, I love that name. She sounds pretty. How old? I can't wait to see her picture. Great on the Angora. Thank you.

Almost a year I think, I bought her from a Rural King she was stress induced sick. They sold me to her for half-price and she was better in two days. So I don't know her exact birthday but she was around 8 weeks old when I got her and I got her around this time last year. I don't have a buck that can breed her (the one I had died) and my other buck can't figure out how to "get" her. he is a mini rex. I bred for pets and I sell them to the other rural king in our area.

The poor little thing, what a blessing you got her. What is her name? I was thinking of breeding my Giant Flemish. But, I do not have a Flemish buck. To be honest, if my hubby would let me I would have several. I have Miss Pearl- California White, Merlin the Dark Stormy Knight the Netherlands Dwarf- ( my 5 yr. old Son named him), Blueberry - New Jersey Wooly, & Midnight Jewel - the Giant Flemish. I want to keep at least one baby because I have never had a baby, baby bunny . How many do you have? Your parents must be very proud of you, you have your own business.

Latest posts

Back