Insatiable appetite, lots of output - normal or no?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirbyultra

Reaction score
Hi everybody

As some of you may know, Penny is a new bun in my household. She is my 3rd rabbit and I adopted her from the shelter. She is about 2 years old. She is a mixed breed beyond recognition, but she is medium size, 5.6lbs and very lean and muscular (not fat, not thin). She was recently diagnosed with ear mites and was treated with a dose of Revolution on this past Wednesday.

I volunteer with the shelter so I knew Penny long before I adopted her. She has *always* been a big eater. She will eat anything you put in front of her immediately and won't stop every last morsel has been consumed. People thought we were starving her because of how she reacted to food. She tested NEGATIVE for parasites in a fecal test. She is perfect size and weight. We've always fed her 1/4 cup of timothy pellets a day, a healthy portion of greens daily and about half a litter box full of hay. She'll eat all of it by the time the next volunteer sees her.

When I took her home, I gave her the same amount, but more greens because that's just how much I feed my bunnies. Every time I see her, her water bowl is empty and her litter box no longer has hay. She eats EVERYTHING in a short amount of time. I fill her litterbox 3/4 way to the top with hay about 2 or 3 times in a 24 hour period. She'll eat every little piece of hay until all I see is the newspaper lining unless I give her more. She drinks more water than I've ever seen any rabbit drink. I understand that the more hay a bun eats, the more likely they are to drink water. But she literally goes through 3 bowls of water a day and slurp it dry. Her urine was orangey-red when I got her, but since the vet visit and she got Revolution, her pee has turned almost clear. Kind of strange, but maybe not abnormal.

What I've thought was kind of strange was her poop. She eats a ton of hay, so she poops a lot of poo :biggrin: Her poop is about the size of a marble, some are a little bigger. They are mostly dry with visible little hay fibers in it, sometimes a little bit moist but not mushy. They're not always round. Sometimes they're an oblong shape.

The shape sorta worries me because I did hear her gut gurgle a couple of times from a reasonable distance away. She never seems to be in pain and if she were having any stasis threats, I am sure I would have noticed given her track record for putting away food, so I don't think it's that. I have heard that the longish shaped poop could be a sign of megacolon. What is megacolon and what should I be looking for? She was just at the vet last Wed. and besides the ear mites, the vet didn't visibly see anything wrong with her. Or is her food intake and long poop just "normal"?

I would appreciate any thoughts on this! I could just be a bit oversensitive, but she's new to me and I just want to make sure she's healthy.

I she shedding alot or molting? That might cause the long poos, if hair is coming out with it. Does that seem what it is? I've never heard a gut gurgle from far away until by first bun was diagnosed w/ CHF, then, when I called the vet saying this was not normal, he said that the gurgling was a good thing, which I disagreed w/ and still do. Bun tums are supposed to do this, but not to hear across a room, to me, that means the stomach is upset...

Editing to say that the loud gurgling was from some of the meds he was on, it was scary to hear a gut that far away. To me, not good. Doesn't mean I'm saying you're in the same boat, you're not. Just be ware and keep taking notes on the noises.I hope it's just hair he's passing. Could also be gas, and you can feel free to give some Simethicone, which will not hurt even if it's not gas.:)

She is near the end of shedding a coat, actually, yes! The longish poos did not look "hairy" though. They looked perfectly oblong, rounded edges and all. Maybe it's fur inside the poo making it bigger, more extended? It looms like a giant gelcap or a giant vitamin supplement pill (like a fish oil pill), that rounded out longish shape.

The gut noise: I heard when I was sitting on the floor sorta next to her but not with my head very close to her body. It was audible in such a way that it surprised me. It was a gurgly pop that I didn't expect and I knew it wasn't coming from me so I deduced it was her gut. It happened twice. I haven't been "listening for it" though, fearing i could just be creating a self fulfilling prophesy of gut sounds lol

It sounds like it could be from hair, but nonetheless, keep an ear on the gut. You shouldn't hear that from even where you say you were sitting, in my book, I've had two rabbits after that first one and have never heard gut sounds from them.(I'm missing a good emot, the crooked smile one!)

Sounds good though! Eating that much hay I suppose could cause that shape, but, I'm not sure at all about that. I've never had major hay eaters. But, given that alone, is a good thing, especially during shedding/molting.:):thumbup

kirbyultra wrote:
She is near the end of shedding a coat, actually, yes! The longish poos did not look "hairy" though. They looked perfectly oblong, rounded edges and all. Maybe it's fur inside the poo making it bigger, more extended? It looms like a giant gelcap or a giant vitamin supplement pill (like a fish oil pill), that rounded out longish shape.

The gut noise: I heard when I was sitting on the floor sorta next to her but not with my head very close to her body. It was audible in such a way that it surprised me. It was a gurgly pop that I didn't expect and I knew it wasn't coming from me so I deduced it was her gut. It happened twice. I haven't been "listening for it" though, fearing i could just be creating a self fulfilling prophesy of gut sounds lol
hi..helen,,.using a stethescope,you can monitor the gitract,,if the noises are loud enough to hear with her in the same room,,there could be pain associated--infant simethicone can calm her down,-grinding teeth is another good sign-..but her eating,drinking- habits sound good,..how is toby and kirby taking to her,,??.any extra cages yet??...sincerely james waller:thumbup:whistling:biggrin2::p

I would have a blood panel done to see how Penny's kidneys are working ; many of these symptoms are suggestive of kidney issues.I sure hope that it isn't that but a blood test could tell you.

Let us know ...

That is a lot of food, but maybe fighting off the mites has made her extra hungry. The gut gurgles might be something more to worry about.

I have not heard any further gurgles from her (yay) but I am worried about her peeing. I've always wondered why some of her fur near her bum is a little matted. It's not bad but she has always had a little bit of a messy bum. I chalked it up to her just peeing everywhere, having bad litter habits and getting it on her fur every now and again. But I wonder if it's more. In my blog some members thought a UTI is possible.

I think I will take her back to the vet soon. I don't know if this weekend will be in the cards, but early next week perhaps. Is it typical that I have to bring the urine in for testing myself or can a vet extract it at the office?

ETA: Note that she does eat a lot, drink a lot, poop a lot and pee a lot! She goes through 2 dishes of water minimum (there's at least a cup of water in the dish) and sometimes 3 or 4. She's not spilling it so I know she is drinking all of it!

I believe that they can extract it at the vets.

Could be a UTI but if the culture comes back OK I still would have a blood panel checking kidney enzymes

I had a bun ( Gabriel) who had all the symptoms of Penny except worse. Gabriel developed urine scald , eventually lost weight and became lethargic.
His urine had no bacteria present but his kidneys were failing.
I hope that Penny has something simpler to treat.

Thank you for sharing that, Maureen. I called the vet's office and the vet I wanted to see is available today at 6:20, otherwise she'll only be available again on Wednesday. So I'm just gonna go ahead and bring her in today. They will extract it from her so I don't have to go syringing up some unsterile urine :) Whew. I hope it is nothing serious...

Yeah, it is better for them to extract it from her. Is she still eating a ton?

Thinking good kidney thoughts!

Glad to hear that you are getting blood work. My first thoughts with the amount of drinking and peeing were kidneys and diabetes. But I've also had a couple of rabbits that were just excessively wet. They drank a lot and that has to go somewhere, so I was constantly changing litter and cleaning. LOL In fact, those were my first rabbits, so I was worried when I had one that wasn't like that.

I think the poop sounds like it is probably hair, but I also would keep checking the gut sounds. You can pick up a stethoscope fairly reasonably at just about any drug store. You want to hear some gurgle, but it should be fairly quiet and somewhat rhythmic. Oh, the rabbit gut is such a wonderful and complicated thing!
;)

My vet said if a dog or cat was drinking as much as my rabbit she would almost def say it had kidney problems or diabetes but not so much for rabbits. She did some study on water intake on rabbits and found that some buns go on water fits for months for no physiological reason at all. She is not worried but wants tests to confirm. I said to her, gosh she drinks SO much. Then I showed her the size of penny's water bowl and she goes through 3 of them a day on avg. She agreed it was excessive but stuck to her guns. She also told me I could restrict her water intake if it turns out not to be a medical problem. Some buns eat and drink cuz they're bored or they've developed a habit of it. She told me one bowl of water the size of her bowl was fine and I could ration it out. That way she doesn't pee all over the place and hopefully she will get off this water frenzy.

I posted here and ... no post! So I guess it was lost in the mass confusion also known as my desktop!

But this is perfectly normal behavior in this house and as long as its not a change in behavior, I don't think anything is wrong.

I think the only reason the pee is more clear is you're doing a better job of filling up the water and giving her more veggies. Is it like water or still pale yellow?

I have yet to find Mister's limit when it comes to food or water. The heavily promoted (by me) idea of truly unlimited hay is being sorely tested because he will eat until its gone. I'm concerned he's not getting enough sleep because he's eating so much for such long periods of time. And the more hay my rabbits eat, the more they drink. I'm filling up Mister's bowl constantly.

Salad and pellet times are an absolute frenzy. I'm having trouble cutting him back because his bonded mate is losing weight because she can't keep up.

If she's not losing a lot of weight and acting otherwise 'off', I don't think you need to worry.

sas :twocents:

My feeling is that it could be a change or it could be convenience. Her water intake was not this high at petco and we always put out a small dish and water bottle. She drank about 1/4 of thr bottle and all of the dish daily. But that's a mere fraction of what she drinks now. It could just be that my providing her a new bowl constantly is encouraging her drinking habit. Or it could be an uptick change.

Her pee is usually pale yellow bordering on clear. It's harder to tell where she peed on the floor now because it's so light against the hardwood floor.

I guess I always err on the side of caution. The vet bill is enormous bu I would rather deal with that than a sick animal down the road. I just can't handle that type of guilt in my heart knowing I had my doubts and didn't do anything about it. I am unforunately usually right when I have a gut feeling like something is off with a rabbit (like Penny's ear mite discovery) but i do hope I am wrong...

Ok so the results are in...

Blood test: Normal with one abnormal blip which usually indicates liver disease but because all the other numbers look normal, vet thinks that this is nothing to worry about

urinalysis: The overall results say that her urine is pretty dilute. She says that when it comes to rabbits some vets say dilute urine is fine, some say it's not. She thinks that it might not be an issue, especially knowing the volume of water Penny drinks. She did not see bacteria in it but she is prescribing antibiotics for a course of 2 weeks anyway, in case it's something they cannot see. :(

The "results" sound pretty inconclusive to me. I'm kind of confused by it. The antibiotic she's prescribing is something that starts the letter "A" but I forget the whole word, though it sounds very familiar. She says it tastes fruity so Penny might take it without a fight (haha, her not eating something that smells good? not likely!)
ETA: I'll get the exact medication tomorrow. I couldn't get to the vet's in time before they closed today.
:?

Today, I came home after a pretty normal day and I saw that Penny had a a really wet, mushy, messy poop. It wasn't solid at all :( Hasn't happened before. She ate pretty regular stuff today, just some romaine, red and green leaf lettuce, a couple sprigs of parsley. I didn't even get to give her pellets today yet. I have seen her make extra cecals when I gave her too much parsley (not a lot, maybe 4 or 5 pieces, but I guess it's a lot for her).

Here's the pic if you want to see...
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp348/kirbyultra/DSC_0408.jpg

I don't know if it's all related or not... but doesn't seem to make sense together.

Azithromycin? Its good for some things, but can cause gi upset.

Latest posts

Back