Insane Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otS3go

Reaction score
Lo all.... Just thought I would find somewhere totalk about how insane rabbits are (hopeing that other peoples rabbitsare actually insane). I got my first rabbit yesterday... or my fiancedid... anyway, just wondering about the little feller, he is from a petshop so I dont know breed or much about them in general :S.

A few questions though,

a) is it normal for him to jump in2 the air before bombing off accross the room

b) how do I get him to stop trying to eat everything :S.

Rabbit.jpg

Ha! Sounds insane to me! ;)

Yes, they do that when they are feeling good. Thebest way toget him to stop eating something is probably to hide it! lol

Otherwise I've heard a squirt bottle and a loud "No!" works pretty well if you catch him in the act.

That hopping into the air and then running aroundlike a nut is called a binky. It shows that your rabbit isvery happy, and it's completely normal.

As for the chewing problem, bunny proofing of your hime is absolutelynecessary which means wires protected or out of reach, etc. If he'schewing on things like the wall or baseboard you can try BitterApple Spray. It's meant for dogs but is safe for rabbits and detersthem most of the time. The watergun/bottle idea worksgood for some rabbits too, others, not so much!

Welcome to the forum, otS3go. :dude:

Congratulations on your new baby!

Check out the following site about rabbit behaviors. I'm sure you andyour fiance will have fun reading through it and it will help inbeginning to understand what their body language is saying to you.http://www.muridae.com/rabbits/rabbittalk_intro.html

The watergun will only work if you catch them in the act of chewingsomething they shouldn't. It works on more rabbits than not from myexperience. Provide the little one with a good hard wood so that he/shecan keep her teeth filed down as rabbits teeth are constantly growingand they need to chew in order to keep them at a good length.Distraction of toys and things they can chew will help, but since therabbit's young and in a new environment, he/she probably just wants tosink her teeth into everything.

I like to give my rabbits Timothy Hay which helps keep their digestivesystem moving, keeps their teeth in good shape, keeps them occupied,and they love it. Be sure the pellet food you're provide has at least18%+ fiber. Fresh water is most important in your rabbit's diet. Treatsin moderation (only a couple of times a week) as the sugar wreaks havocon their system and too much is harmful for your bunny.

:)

-Carolyn

Welcome otS3go, to the wonderful world ofbunnies. It seems your new bun is a happy little guy (girl?).You will probably soon notice all kinds of other behaviour - the'Iwant petting NOW' hand nudge, and, failing to do so, the'You had better pet me, or else' feet attack; the 'I'm going to tripyou up' circling around your legs when he thinks he's goingto get a treat, and the 'I'm the saddest, most unloved bunny in theworld' look when he doesn't get one. Bunnies are not reallyinsane, just very clever at getting what they want and making us feelbad when they don't :D. (And we wouldn't have it any other way!)Looking forward to hearing how you get on with new bun.

Jan

I feed 16 percent protein,I have read thatfeeding 18 percent protein causes more cases of enteritis and thesmaller breeds dont need the extra protein.bluebird

Back